Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krita 4.4 Released With Multi-Threading For Fill Layers

Phoronix: Krita 4.4 Released With Multi-Threading For Fill Layers

Krita 4.4 is out today as the latest release for this flagship open-source digital painting program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Correct me if I'm wrong.. GIMP was always a hobby project (but a necessity for Linux), Krita are for professional Artists.

Comment

Originally posted by erickod
      It's impressive how much Krita is ahead Gimp despite it be newer.
      1996 vs 1999... not that much of a difference. IMO the choice of Qt/C++ is what makes Krita move faster.

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post

1996 vs 1999... not that much of a difference. IMO the choice of Qt/C++ is what makes Krita move faster.
        You're right. I frequently see Krita announcements here, and Krita indeed go faster. I would like see gimp doing something to equiparete to Krita, but I know it won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by erickod View Post
          I would like see gimp doing something to equiparete to Krita, but I know it won't happen.
          Although both can be used for content creation, they target different user-base

GIMP is a "photoshop" alternative
          Krita is for artists, graphic novel, etc

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

When I said to equiparate, I did refer to the ability to delivery resources to their own user-base. I have a notion that Krita is faster to do that. But both are good pieces of software.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

This is wrong, because Krita is also a photoshop alternative, right, because it's for "artists, graphic novels, etc", thing is, GIMP is also for those things.

Krita is effectively superior to GIMP in just about every way. I do not know one area it loses out to GIMP in specifically, but quite a lot where it easily wins. Although it started out as a GIMP fork originally (but it's been altered so much by this point you can't actually call it a fork anymore at this point), I'm pretty sure the reason for Krita's overall superiority be that in performance, functionality or design, is because it is much more actively developed than GIMP is.

Comment

Krita has the end user in mind and focus on making art. GIMP is developed by people who couldn't care less about its usability as if it shouldn't ever be used for image manipulation.

Blender learned quite a bit late that it should be serving the artists in first place and inflating egos only on spare time.

Comment

Originally posted by Imout0 View Post
                  GIMP is developed by people who couldn't care less about its usability...
                  Pretty amazing how every release fixes this or that usability issue then. Must be pure coincidence.

Comment

Working...
                  X