Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CUPS Printing System Open-Source Development Has Seemingly Dried Up

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    I will guess two more reasons for this stagnation:

    - CUPS works, no need to change what isn't broken
    I guess you've never read the collective works of Lennart Pottering.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by willmore View Post
      Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. Apple learned it from the best.
      I thought in Apple's case, it was more see idea made by someone else, take it (and put in nicer case), claim as their own, rinse 'n' repeat. Or, as Steve Jobs himself put it in 1996: "Picasso had a saying -- 'good artists copy; great artists steal' -- and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

      Also, while I'm quite happy to agree that other companies follow the E3 principle, if Microsoft (I presume that is who you mean when referring to "the best" as Google/Amazon/Facebook weren't around - or at least weren't the internet-controlling behemoths they are now) actually followed through properly, Apple would never have survived the 1990's.

      Comment


      • #33
        I thought Apple had abandoned CUPS for some thing else. Am I wrong? I have two printers, one is a Canon Pixma pro where I have to pay cash for drivers to run it on Linux and they come with a replacement for CUPS. Canon hates Linux. The other is an HP where every time I want to print I have to reinstall the crappy proprietary drivers. It would be grat if the printer manufacturers would get into the 21st century and start releasing open drivers.

        Comment


        • #34
          It seems to me that only a novice, here in 2020, would not buy a network printer with ipp. Drivers? Lol. Printing from any computer Win/Mac/Linux/Android/whatever is just so simple and easy with IPP. No more driver hell. That said, I do still have a small VM running CUPS, that handles all print jobs for our older printers. We have some 15+ year old HP LaserJet models that refuse to die, they just keep on printing. CUPS saves the day with those, as it allows even the newest Win10 machines to print to them. (Win10 basically doesn't support any hardware older than a few years). But yeah, nowadays, IPP is the only logical answer.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

            In at least some jurisdictions a fax is considered legally binding document (although in some cases it may be required to be followed up with real paper). While there are alternatives available in some cases for some uses, fax is still the lowest common denominator that still has that legally binding status.
            Wtf? How come some technically very advanced countries are still using ancient thing like tax? Legally binding..? Lazy lawmakers I'd say..

            We have digitally signed encrypted containers (you can put files within) for shit like this. Past 15 years at least. Off national ID card which also doubles as a smartcard. You can email signed documents or shoot them away through Messenger or whatever.. At least 3 EU countries use smth like that..

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              I will guess two more reasons for this stagnation:

              - CUPS works, no need to change what isn't broken (although someone angry with a bug report will fire at me for this);
              - With the widespread use of online services, printing is a less important thing on peoples lives. COVID sure make online documentation even more widespread, since burocratic services forcefully had to start accepting more paperless docs.
              Bureaucracy has nothing to do with paper. In fact removing papers (and paper limitations) unleashes bureaucracy more. Paperless bureaucracy is true Skynet. =)

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                Wtf? How come some technically very advanced countries are still using ancient thing like tax? Legally binding..? Lazy lawmakers I'd say..

                We have digitally signed encrypted containers (you can put files within) for shit like this. Past 15 years at least. Off national ID card which also doubles as a smartcard. You can email signed documents or shoot them away through Messenger or whatever.. At least 3 EU countries use smth like that..
                National ID is something I would NOT want. One of the few good things about the US is that arrest for refusing to show ID documents is illegal in all 50 states, even if every cop will tell you to the contrary. Call them on it and they have to either back down or risk a lawsuit. Even the "shall identify" states require only information, not paperwork. If you don't fly or enter government buildings, you can even reject the "Real ID" drivers license in many states. You can refuse it in all 50 states if you don't want a car. Never, ever do I carry ID away from the car

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  I guess you've never read the collective works of Lennart Pottering.
                  Does anyone else see that issue with systemd where if you dare plug in a usb drive and then later want to shutdown, the all great and powerful systemd can't shutdown because of a samba printer even though I have never connected a printer ?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Luke View Post

                    National ID is something I would NOT want. One of the few good things about the US is that arrest for refusing to show ID documents is illegal in all 50 states, even if every cop will tell you to the contrary. Call them on it and they have to either back down or risk a lawsuit. Even the "shall identify" states require only information, not paperwork. If you don't fly or enter government buildings, you can even reject the "Real ID" drivers license in many states. You can refuse it in all 50 states if you don't want a car. Never, ever do I carry ID away from the car
                    You already do have national ID in the form of internationally recognized passport. We do have also identity card - which btw works as a passport within EU (during travels into members state I don't need to have my passport along with me, ID card is enough). Nobody is stamping passports anyway. Inside EU there usually are not even any borders.

                    Arrest for refusing to show ID illegal? Police, border guards (on EU external border) have rights to ask for your documents. More, near border carrying some form of ID (be it even driver license) is mandatory.

                    Fucking ID card makes it also much easier to authenticate one's self against banks, state services etc, it has replaced client cards for stores - wallet is no longer full with 50 different cards. Only private info readable from it without you inputting PINs is your citizen's/resident's unique serial no.

                    Last I heard about US banks was that they release their client their own ID tokens and if you lose'm.. Well, you are fucked, unless you get somebody to witness that you are who you say you are and who will be responsible for you. Or smth completely brain dead like this.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by royce View Post

                      Best thing I ever did was to get a decent, multifunction b/w laser printer/scanner unit (Brother DCP-7055). Toner is very cheap, does not dry and laser prints very quickly. If I were to replace it I'd basically like a network-enabled version of it. I'm not sure what the state of network scanners is in Linux though.
                      For us, EPSON's WorkForce WF-7620 ( now 7720) is The S**t.
                      Multifunction Inkjet/scannerPrecisionCore head, very fast, A3+, dual tray.
                      With refillable cartriges ( $5ish for set) and ink ( $7 per 1dcl of color) printing is fast and practically free.
                      Still running same inks after 3 years.
                      I print on ir from Win or Linux systems in the network.
                      Same way with scanner. Xsane works over the network.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X