X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by lectrode View Post

He probably got that from the current situation of esync/fsync not being available in wine>5.9.

From Proton-5.11-GE-1-MF release:

From Proton-5.9-GE-3-ST release:

Valve's current latest stable proton version is currently 5.9-11, likely for the same reason (esync/fsync).

F.Ultra
    However, while Valve is probably not going to be re-basing proton on a newer version of wine until that functionality is fixed, I wouldn't say progress is halted. Like ix900 said, Valve is working on a bunch of different aspects. I believe Anti-cheat and DRM support is a part of that workload as well. They have plenty to keep them busy even if the proton version isn't going to have a "major" bump anytime soon.
    Yeah I perhaps could have worded that better, I meant that the work of basing Proton on a new version of Wine other than 5.9 is currently on halt. I didn't mean to indicate that Valve where sitting idly by, as you say that are currently heavily invested in getting Easy Anti Cheat to work among other things.

Leave a comment:

• lectrode
    replied
    Originally posted by ix900 View Post
    Where did you get that from? lol
    He probably got that from the current situation of esync/fsync not being available in wine>5.9.

From Proton-5.11-GE-1-MF release:
    -Temporary removal of esync, 5.10+ did a large rework of ntdll which broke compatibility with esync. The patchset needs to be rebased. It is currently disabled in staging.
    -Temporary removal of fsync - fsync relies on esync. No esync = no fsync.
    From Proton-5.9-GE-3-ST release:
    After ironing out a lot of the major bugs since 5.11, I've realized that while some games run well enough without esync/fsync, the majority of games, specifically triple A titles, really need esync/fsync, especially when running on lower end hardware.

SO, what I've done is taken -all- of the fixes from the 5.11 versions and upstream that are major/relevant that I could recall, and backported them to the 5.9 build. This returns esync/fsync functionality, and also enables some games to run correctly that weren't running in 5.11.

Valve's current latest stable proton version is currently 5.9-11, likely for the same reason (esync/fsync).

F.Ultra
    However, while Valve is probably not going to be re-basing proton on a newer version of wine until that functionality is fixed, I wouldn't say progress is halted. Like ix900 said, Valve is working on a bunch of different aspects. I believe Anti-cheat and DRM support is a part of that workload as well. They have plenty to keep them busy even if the proton version isn't going to have a "major" bump anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• ix900
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Proton is on "halt" due to the newer versions of WINE breaking e-sync
    Where did you get that from? lol

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitch View Post
    It's great that Wine and DXVK are moving along. I'm starting to wonder about Proton. Feels like development has slowed. I've been using GloriousEggroll's fork for a while which has helped several of the titles I play. He/she keeps the fork quite up to date with patches and Wine.
    Proton is on "halt" due to the newer versions of WINE breaking e-sync

Leave a comment:

• ix900
    replied
    Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

Proton is "done", there isn't much else to work on it. Much of the work to make it better now goes into dependencies/upstream: wine-staging, dxvk, vkd3d-proton, etc.
    That's what TKG and GE cherry-pick into their repositories. Proton itself is just a bunch of python scripts to integrate with Steam.
    I feel that's not really true. Valve has proton-next since July and they are working on various things that will get put upstream and in Proton. That's how they work. They have a bunch of bigger issues to deal with such as VKD3D with newer games that are going DX12 only which is a fairly major problem for their store on Linux. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x=VKD3D-Proton

They just don't do all things out in the open and may not update Proton as much as people would like at this time but that's probably a bit of needing more people to throw at it problem.

Saying that its "done" is like saying TKG's Wine is "done" lol. It seems that way right now but Valve has some hard things on the plate. Look who forked VKD3D-Proton, GE from OP's post saying Proton development has slowed lol. GE only has that benefit because of Valve and Proton. Its just not yet available in Proton as it has problems. GE doesn't have a store to consider. https://github.com/HansKristian-Work...etwork/members
    Last edited by ix900; 09 October 2020, 09:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitch View Post
    It's great that Wine and DXVK are moving along. I'm starting to wonder about Proton. Feels like development has slowed. I've been using GloriousEggroll's fork for a while which has helped several of the titles I play. He/she keeps the fork quite up to date with patches and Wine.
    Proton is "done", there isn't much else to work on it. Much of the work to make it better now goes into dependencies/upstream: wine-staging, dxvk, vkd3d-proton, etc.
    That's what TKG and GE cherry-pick into their repositories. Proton itself is just a bunch of python scripts to integrate with Steam.

Leave a comment:

• Mitch
    replied

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Wine 5.19 Released With A Variety Of Changes

Wine 5.19 Released With A Variety Of Changes

Phoronix: Wine 5.19 Released With A Variety Of Changes

Wine 5.19 is out as the latest bi-weekly development release of this software for running Windows games/applications on Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X