Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Mobile Has Been Making Great Progress

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Mobile Has Been Making Great Progress

Not only is the Plasma 5.20 desktop shining and more Wayland improvements and other enhancements queuing for Plasma 5.21, but the Plasma Mobile effort is also beginning to shine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE is awesome, I still cannot understand how Canonical did not chose it for Ubuntu having plans for mobile devices too.

Comment

can one actually use it on phones and do, you know, normal phone-y things like calls and texting? or is it good for showing off and for sshing to the computers only?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        KDE is awesome, I still cannot understand how Canonical did not chose it for Ubuntu having plans for mobile devices too.
        It doesn't matter, there's no room for another mobile OS if you built in on pixie dust.
        Despite Microsoft's best efforts, developers just won't bother developing for more than two operating systems. Imagine how "well" this will go for companies smaller than Microsoft that give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It doesn't matter, there's no room for another mobile OS if you built in on pixie dust.
          Despite Microsoft's best efforts, developers just won't bother developing for more than two operating systems. Imagine how "well" this will go for companies smaller than Microsoft that give it a shot.
          It's not about corporations backing it. The KDE community can care less if facebook made an app for their UI because it's about open source, not proprietary spyware. That said, if mobile linux phones do ever gather the attention of developers, then plasma mobile can run those apps, even if they are GTK or Electron (or something proprietary), or an android app even in anbox. It's not limited to just QT apps, and you can run whatever. Good luck convincing the community they need a closed-source app though.
          Last edited by Baguy; 09 October 2020, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
            can one actually use it on phones and do, you know, normal phone-y things like calls and texting? or is it good for showing off and for sshing to the computers only?
            Yes, but it's not really ideal for use. Plasma mobile isn't even at version 1 yet, and it shows a severe lack of polish overall. It's been getting better every month though.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

It's not about corporations backing it. The KDE community can care less if facebook made an app for their UI because it's about open source, not proprietary spyware. That said, if mobile linux phones do ever gather the attention of developers, then plasma mobile can run those apps, even if they are GTK or Electron (or something proprietary), or an android app even in anbox. It's not limited to just QT apps, and you can run whatever. Good luck convincing the community they need a closed-source app though.
              I didn't say it's about corporations, I said it's about developers. And developers won't bother.

Comment

I didn't say it's about corporations, I said it's about developers. And developers won't bother.
                No, it's about manufacturers who do not sell phones with it preinstalled and make efforts to PREVENT installation of an alternative OS. Even Lineage OS, which is 100% compatible with Android apps (because it's Android) has insignificant make share due to manufacturers not preinstalling it (extremely rare) and Lineage OS being barely able to run correctly on a few recent devices.

Comment

More and more Android patches are getting mainlined to the Linux kernel.
                  With Anbox they could run Android applications on it.

Comment

I am sure my opinion will be unpopular .... but plasma mobile is a complete waste of time and resources.
                    Cannot for the life of me think why so much manpower gets wasted on this. It will NEVER compete.

Comment

Working...
                    X