GIMP 2.10.22 Released With AVIF Image Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ermo View Post

The question is if GIMP would be better served with GTK+4 than GTK+3 at this point?
    Once the port to gtk3 is done, gtk4 should be a lot faster, as it will have less X11isms, especially for input. And a cleaner code base. Gtk3 will be stable and supported for a long time.
    Last edited by oleid; 07 October 2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

GIMP is the last application that needs GTK+2 on my desktop. Not counting some games that comes with GTK+2 libraries bundled. I wonder when I remove this library without breaking any application.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
        GIMP is the last application that needs GTK+2 on my desktop. Not counting some games that comes with GTK+2 libraries bundled. I wonder when I remove this library without breaking any application.
        You could download a 2.99 AppImage: https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp...tag/continuous

Comment

I really love, support and encourage GIMP like projects and open source. But... Photoshop is d@mn too good, and quite affordable lately (I think 10 dollars a month with 20gb cloud?). But well... not in Linux at least

Comment

Originally posted by adlerhn View Post
            And python 2
            And that (python2) requirement was why I finally removed GIMP from my system. I can, if needed, install a sandboxed GIMP via a flatpak, but I have managed to live GIMPfree for a number of months now.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Once the port to gtk3 is done, gtk4 should be a lot faster, as it will have less X11isms, especially for input. And a cleaner code base. Gtk3 will be stable and supported for a long time.
              As I googled again now, gtk3 still sucks about the input support. I wanted to make a game in gtk3 not to care about X11/Wayland (leaving it on gtk3) and found out it supports only simple clicking/tapping. E.g. no relative mouse movement (needed for half of games, e.g. first person shooters). Also gnome3 doesn't support window decorations properly in Wayland apps not made in gtk3 (it's still a work in progress - will be in gtk 3.90). Thus for now SDL has to manually draw ugly window decoration. I'm really looking forward when "Linux" is finished.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
                I really love, support and encourage GIMP like projects and open source. But... Photoshop is d@mn too good, and quite affordable lately (I think 10 dollars a month with 20gb cloud?). But well... not in Linux at least
                Then buy Affinity Design Apps. Far less expensive, powerful and rapidly adding functionality: Designer and Photo, never mind Publisher are not Photoshop lite apps. They are phenomenal products.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
                  seemingly never-ending improvements to the Adobe PSP file format support
                  Photo$hop uses .psd, PSP is completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

And that (python2) requirement was why I finally removed GIMP from my system. I can, if needed, install a sandboxed GIMP via a flatpak, but I have managed to live GIMPfree for a number of months now.
                    So you don't really have a real need for GIMP.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                      gimp should change the name and make some marketing and improve print and raw support, what gtk it uses is not really important
                      The version of GTK is actually pretty significant. GTK 2 is quite dated and missing a ton of features, like HiDPI and Wayland support, not to mention a decade of performance work. Supporting GTK 3 gives this for free unless the application does something that specifically compromises it. Additionally, being a less-common toolkit complicates theming for users who care about that, and as GTK 4 and QT 6 are adopted, I can't imagine many theme developers will want to maintain their themes across 5-6 different versions of toolkits.

Comment

Working...
                      X