Chrome 86 Released With Native File-System, WebCodecs APIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Don't know, but Firefox has something like that for previously closed pages and previously visited pages, like back and forwards in the toolbar, and it is damn useful when I'm rapid-fire closing tabs and I accidentally close one or three too many or I'm navigating a tutorial that seems to offer up one page of information per tip.
    Yeah, it's called the bfcache (back-and-forward cache)

Comment

Any movements on hardware accelerated video decoding?

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

Chrome is now an operating system.
        Yep, but these web OS apps usually still need one runtime per app, which increases the distribution size significantly. In addition, many operations are a lot slower, and you're still limited by the minimum supported API level on all the target client platforms. Many companies that are porting native apps to HTML5 feel this pain every day as they'd want all the thousands of APIs right now, not just one new per release.

Comment

- New APIs to support cross-screen window placement for better multi-screen experiences on the web.
          Wohoo, more fingerprinting APIs arrived. Now they will know how many screens I'm driving.
          - WebCodecs as a low-level codec API for game streaming, transcoding, and similar uses.
          Hmm, more vulnerabilities and wider attack surface?

I'm OK with filesystem and HID APIs as long as they are covered with permissions and can be disabled in Settings. If not, then

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            Hmm, more vulnerabilities and wider attack surface?
            Software codecs are continuously fuzzed, they're the least of my worries to be honest. Hardware ones are a lot harder to exploit on the other hand.

Comment

Is it just me, or can't I access youtube in incognito mode anymore? If I click on NO THANKS in the login popup, then there is just another popup saying "consent.youtube.com refused to connect"

Comment

Originally posted by Harri View Post
                Is it just me, or can't I access youtube in incognito mode anymore? If I click on NO THANKS in the login popup, then there is just another popup saying "consent.youtube.com refused to connect"
                Do you have uMatrix running while incognito? That causes a lot of grief for me.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Do you have uMatrix running while incognito? That causes a lot of grief for me.
                  Btw, for those of you who don't already know, uMatrix is unmaintained. The extension was archived on githu https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix

I still use it myself, but I do expect it to break in the medium-term. Such a pity.

Comment

Michael Larabel Did you notice that hardware acceleration for videos appeared in the Chrome 86 flags?

Comment

Originally posted by Ignacio Taranto View Post
                      And precisely how is this related to "Linux Hardware Reviews, Open-Source Benchmarks & Linux Performance"?
                      The benchmarks are open source, the apps don't have to be. Also, the tagline doesn't say that those 3 things are the only things that are allowed/discussed on this site, it just says that the focus is on those 3 things, i.e. that's the majority of stuff you will find here, but not necessarily all.

Comment

Working...
                      X