Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 86 Released With Native File-System, WebCodecs APIs

Phoronix: Chrome 86 Released With Native File-System, WebCodecs APIs

Chrome 86 is out today as the latest feature release to Google's cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IMHO, the headline should be changed to Native File-System API. The way it reads I was expecting something about a ChromeOS developed file system, like Android with F2FS, and not an API for access permissions and whatnot.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 06 October 2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

A back-forward cache has been added to allow instant navigation on previously-visited pages.
      So it uses twice the RAM now?

The WebHID API for supporting human interface devices directly from the browser that may not otherwise be supported by the underlying operating system.
      So there will be drivers for devices in Chrome now?

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
        So it uses twice the RAM now?
        Don't know, but Firefox has something like that for previously closed pages and previously visited pages, like back and forwards in the toolbar, and it is damn useful when I'm rapid-fire closing tabs and I accidentally close one or three too many or I'm navigating a tutorial that seems to offer up one page of information per tip.

Comment

Waiting for MathML.

Comment

And precisely how is this related to "Linux Hardware Reviews, Open-Source Benchmarks & Linux Performance"?

Comment

Looking forward to Chrome 87 being released as stable in the middle of November. It can run natively in Wayland. You can test it now by installing Chrome Dev and running the following from terminal:
              Code:
              google-chrome-unstable --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland

Comment

WebHID
                Chrome is now an operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                  Chrome is now an operating system.
                  It is following in the proud tradition of Emacs ("a great operating system, lacking only a decent editor").

Comment

Originally posted by Ignacio Taranto View Post
                    Open-Source
                    The Benchmarks themselves are open-source, not the application being benchmarked. You can download PTS and reproduce them yourself. i.e. they are open and transparent.

Now, this doesn't preclude Chrome being a big POS anti-privacy malware.

Comment

Working...
                    X