No announcement yet.

Systemd Startup For KDE Plasma 5.21 Has Helped Uncover Bugs, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Startup For KDE Plasma 5.21 Has Helped Uncover Bugs, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Systemd Startup For KDE Plasma 5.21 Has Helped Uncover Bugs, Other Improvements

While Plasma 5.20 isn't shipping until later this month, already for Plasma 5.21 down the pipe is a big change and that is the optional support for systemd starting up of the Plasma session. This can lead to faster startup/load times and other improvements while even the process of bringing up the systemd support helped uncover other KDE bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"helped uncover bugs" hehe, I know that Plasma and Qt are different projects but when Qt brags about fixing 500 bugs between update releases you realize it means that shit is buggy as hell and Plasma is too.

Comment

I haven't experienced crashes of shell, kwin or Dolphin on Xorg in ages, so don't expect everyone to agree with you there.

Comment

Now everyone benefits from systemd. It's good.

Comment

KDE, buggy DE... But has fancy graphics and customisations.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            "helped uncover bugs" hehe, I know that Plasma and Qt are different projects but when Qt brags about fixing 500 bugs between update releases you realize it means that shit is buggy as hell and Plasma is too.
            The same thing also happens with GTKs, with each version they fix hundreds of bugs, I don't see anything strange.
            Each release brings with it library updates, new libraries and new supports, it is obvious that this can lead to regressions and bugs.
            This is how the software works! But bugs do not necessarily affect everyone, on the contrary it is usually difficult to find them, because they will appear only under certain conditions and sometimes even silently.
            KDE, buggy DE ... Ma ha una grafica e personalizzazioni fantasiose.
            I use Plasma 5 on all my PCs, even in the office, without any particular problems. I have no crash, no problem, especially if you are using the Lts version. Plasma like all the DEs I've used, if you use it with default settings, it works fine without bugs, if you start modifying it heavily, it can happen to find bugs, just like it happens with Gnome extensions.
            Last edited by Charlie68; 01 October 2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Sometimes it feels the latest major Qt version has had more bugs and fixes than what is the total number of features in every other GUI toolkit ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Sometimes it feels the latest major Qt version has had more bugs and fixes than what is the total number of features in every other GUI toolkit ever made.
                Just because bugs were fixed doesn't mean they affected the desktop use. QT is a vast library used more than just a desktop toolkit. Also, your inserting alot of bias here, as both gnome and GTK gets alot of bug fixes too with each update.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

The same thing also happens with GTKs, with each version they fix hundreds of bugs, I don't see anything strange.
                  Each release brings with it library updates, new libraries and new supports, it is obvious that this can lead to regressions and bugs.
                  This is how the software works! But bugs do not necessarily affect everyone, on the contrary it is usually difficult to find them, because they will appear only under certain conditions and sometimes even silently.

I use Plasma 5 on all my PCs, even in the office, without any particular problems. I have no crash, no problem, especially if you are using the Lts version. Plasma like all the DEs I've used, if you use it with default settings, it works fine without bugs, if you start modifying it heavily, it can happen to find bugs, just like it happens with Gnome extensions.
                  I assume you are using it on Xorg.

Comment

Nice. You fail to mention a single improvement, but that's what laying code on top of different implementations usually does (among other things): it lets you properly decouple, simplifying things.
                    The thing is, even if don't support multiple implementations in the wild, you should still have a dummy one around for testing.
                    Last edited by bug77; 01 October 2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X