Benchmarking Firefox 83 Nightly With "Warp" Against Google Chrome On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking Firefox 83 Nightly With "Warp" Against Google Chrome On Linux

Phoronix: Benchmarking Firefox 83 Nightly With "Warp" Against Google Chrome On Linux

Following last week's news of Firefox Nightly flipping on their new JIT "Warp" update I was eager to run fresh benchmarks of the current Firefox releases compared to Google Chrome under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Overall FF83 doesn't change anything. I wonder if Google is buying the most talented devs and that's why its JS engine is the fastest since many years already.

Comment

Progress, albeit reverse.. is still progress!

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        but Chrome 85 still carries a significant performance advamtage/

Comment

Poor Firefox

Comment

Comment

Sigh....as a dedicated Netscape Navigator from back in the day to Firefox user now....this is just a shit show. I know there are a lot of reasons for this and the fault lies both with Mozilla AND the wider industry getting rolled by the ubiquity and size of Google. But damn.... And I'm actually seeing the effects of this in the real world. Most of the time these benchmarks mean nothing to me because the percentage differences do not show up even when I do an A/B comparison in real time with my own eyes and not looking at a benchmark. The "See, Smell, Feel" test.

But now I AM feeling it and seeing it. And that's NOT just in performance but in actual web pages NOT rendering properly or drop downs or fill in fields not showing up in Firefox but they always do in a Chrome variant such as Brave, not to mention Google Chrome proper. In other words....Im finding more web pages broken in some fashion in Firefox and hardly ever in Chrome or its variants.

And the damnable thing is....FOSS is being used to drive out freedom and choice in the very FOSS world we cherish. And everyone accepts that either out of sheer ignorance or apathy. Giant Corporations and their paid for Governments that shield them are the very ones building us "free barns" to house their products. And the products are...us.

Comment

This is disappointing. With a name like "Warp" I was expecting more. Hopefully when it hits stable that will be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  But now I AM feeling it and seeing it. And that's NOT just in performance but in actual web pages NOT rendering properly or drop downs or fill in fields not showing up in Firefox but they always do in a Chrome variant such as Brave, not to mention Google Chrome proper. In other words....Im finding more web pages broken in some fashion in Firefox and hardly ever in Chrome or its variants.
                  Does that still happen with Advanced Tracking Protection off? I've noticed something similar on a few sites since that was enabled by default, but it happens so infrequently I haven't bothered to track down the problem. Firefox is pretty locked down and there are security addons, so there are a lot of things on my side which could be breaking the page.

And the damnable thing is....FOSS is being used to drive out freedom and choice in the very FOSS world we cherish. And everyone accepts that either out of sheer ignorance or apathy.
                  "Enthusiasm to brown nose corporations" was left out. The unprincipled moderates won, and the software world is backsliding.

Comment

Maybe I'm misreading the graphs, but it looks like 83 is generally a big step backwards and Warp didn't make much of a difference in these benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
                    X