Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 5.18 Adds sRGB Color Profile, Another Fix For Microsoft Flight Simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 5.18 Adds sRGB Color Profile, Another Fix For Microsoft Flight Simulator

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 5.18 Adds sRGB Color Profile, Another Fix For Microsoft Flight Simulator

Building off Friday's release of Wine 5.18 is now an updated Wine-Staging that adds just over 600 patches atop the upstream code-base for delivering experimental/testing features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They missed to re-base the code base against the fix from the ordinary Wine, that allow us to install .net4.0 or higher from winetricks?

See: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49532

Comment

Steam has been completely broken since 5.15, and the interface flickering problem has been present since shortly after Valve started Proton. I don't know what they're doing, but I sure wish they'd stop screwing up Steam for those of us who want customized menus or other features they don't decide to "bless" us with.

Steam on Wine has become like a closed source project now, with secrets only Valve knows.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
        Steam on Wine has become like a closed source project now, with secrets only Valve knows.
        It had been worse than now, I can run Steam normally (apart from the flickering and GPU accel. has to be turned off) in staging-tkg and run games normally too. It used to have threads going on a rampage after some time, but fortunately this seems to be gone for some time already.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          It had been worse than now, I can run Steam normally (apart from the flickering and GPU accel. has to be turned off) in staging-tkg and run games normally too. It used to have threads going on a rampage after some time, but fortunately this seems to be gone for some time already.
          Well, to my embarrassment, I just compiled 5.18 with staging and Steam does run again, and also exits correctly. I tried it with straight 5.18 the other day and it was still broken so I assumed staging wouldn't matter, which was foolish on my part.

But as you said the flickering and GPU acceleration problems persist so games don't run very well, but it's worth it to have my custom Wine Manager system running again. I don't even like video games that much, and in fact find them quite boring. So for me it's just the technical challenge, and also a good way to test my Wine Manager because Steam has the most complex menus of anything else I run on Wine. But hopefully Valve will one day reveal their Proton secrets and things will get back to normal for real gamers.

In any case, kudos to the staging team for fixing the problem with the Steam crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepsz View Post
            They missed to re-base the code base against the fix from the ordinary Wine, that allow us to install .net4.0 or higher from winetricks?

See: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49532
            Not sure what are you on about, I just tested a .net 4.x app that broke before 5.18 and with the latest Wine-Stg 5.18 it works again.

Comment

Well, to my embarrassment, I just compiled 5.18 with staging and Steam does run again, and also exits correctly. I tried it with straight 5.18 the other day and it was still broken so I assumed staging wouldn't matter, which was foolish on my part.

But as you said the flickering and GPU acceleration problems persist so games don't run very well, but it's worth it to have my custom Wine Manager system running again. I don't even like video games that much, and in fact find them quite boring. So for me it's just the technical challenge, and also a good way to test my Wine Manager because Steam has the most complex menus of anything else I run on Wine. But hopefully Valve will one day reveal their Proton secrets and things will get back to normal for real gamers.

In any case, kudos to the staging team for fixing the problem with the Steam crash.
              Proton is open source, there are no secrets AFAIK.

Wine is currently at a crossroads, they're implementing the next round of changes to allow stuff that is not possible with current Wine due to how the Wine architecture was designed.

Let's say that Wine is evolving to behave more akin to windows from a windows application perspective and due to the way Wine is developed (no humongous patches) it is going to take a while to get there, things are progressing nicely.

I've been following wine development for years and always goes like this, always getting better and better small increment by small increment, one day an inch, another a few inches more, one day your pet peeve app just works, works well and it keeps running forever preserved in Wine carbonite.

The process is not always straightforward and like the last .net 4.x breakage there are bumps in the road but those get solved nicely, the Wine dev community is fantastic, I can only praise them.

Comment

But as you said the flickering and GPU acceleration problems persist so games don't run very well
                Performance of games isn't affected by turning off GPU accel. inside Steam UI (it can actually be better since this saves some MB of VRAM).

Comment

Why would you run Steam via WINE these days? The Linux client works well and has Proton for running Windows only titles (which oddly sometimes run better than native "ports", Dead by Daylight for example).

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                    Why would you run Steam via WINE these days? The Linux client works well and has Proton for running Windows only titles (which oddly sometimes run better than native "ports", Dead by Daylight for example).
                    Well, I can't speak for others, but sometimes custom Wine builds, like what TK-Glitch provides, are better than what vanilla Proton offers and managing those with Lutris or some other Wine prefix manager can be easier than managing vanilla Proton from within Steam. I call that 2007-2019.

These days...it's friggin 2020, most all my Windows stuff just works so I prefer Linux Steam, using Proton, and using custom Proton builds for any edge cases. Luckily for me, I'm one of those weirdo 20+ year Linux users who only relies on Windows for muh gamez. Every other bit of software I need I'm perfectly content with what the open source world offers.

Comment

Working...
                    X