No announcement yet.

KWinFT Projects Hit Beta Ahead Of Stable Releases Aligned With KDE Plasma 5.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWinFT Projects Hit Beta Ahead Of Stable Releases Aligned With KDE Plasma 5.20

Phoronix: KWinFT Projects Hit Beta Ahead Of Stable Releases Aligned With KDE Plasma 5.20

KWinFT as a fork of KDE's KWin focused on better Wayland support and other modernization efforts is approaching its first stable release next month around the same time as KDE Plasma 5.20...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. I hope it will also add Vulkan rendering, adaptive sync and kmail / subsurface clipping issues fixes.

Comment

Well fork me running. Great news.

Maybe the integration in other sessions than Plasma could be improved to even make setting up this single call at startup unnecessary. Should Disman for example install a systemd unit file executing this call by default? I would be interested in feedback in this regard in particular from distributions. What do they prefer?
      Well, I'm not a distribution, but I say yes since damn near all Plasma based Linux distributions use systemd. That is if we're discussing Disman in context with a Plasma install. But to play it safe, I'd make a disman-systemd package since the Linux Plasma systemd Venn diagram is basically O, but meta distributions and BSD either don't run systemd or have a choice of init systems so forcing systemd as a hard dependency onto Disman and/or KDisplay isn't the best of ideas, IMHO.

Now I gotta set a reminder for October 13.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 27 September 2020, 08:23 AM. Reason: vein diagram....late night posting lol

Comment

I can't wait to try it out. Hopefully there are not that many bugs still alive until its first stable release and that it is widely available in many distributions (easy to install).

Comment

All the changes seem really important and I will test KDiplay and Disman, if it works well I will replace Kscreen as of its many shortcomings. It would be great to provide the systemd service for Disman so that it works independent from the desktop environment.

Comment

What is the status on merging/replacing upstream?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Go go go go!
              Rust rust rust rust!

D D D D!

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                What is the status on merging/replacing upstream?
                I've been wondering about this as well. Would the KDE group be open to accepting this fork to replace existing stuff? Maybe for Plasma 6.0? I feel like such a rebuild is akin to the introduction of Wayland. It's invasive but it pays off hugely, cleans up debt, improves the code, and makes the software more modern and easy to work with.

I'm grateful for Roman and everyone else involved in this project.

Comment

Definitely hope this becomes KWin 6

Or at minimum I hope it becomes included in standard repositories for the major distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

I've been wondering about this as well. Would the KDE group be open to accepting this fork to replace existing stuff? Maybe for Plasma 6.0? I feel like such a rebuild is akin to the introduction of Wayland. It's invasive but it pays off hugely, cleans up debt, improves the code, and makes the software more modern and easy to work with.

I'm grateful for Roman and everyone else involved in this project.
                    I think, the KDE-folks and Roman have different goals. I. e. Roman want to gets rid of the Qt-dependency while the KDE-folks rely on Qt.
                    Roman wants solutions which are agnostic of desktops. - KDE-folks want solutions which fit well to KDE.
                    Last edited by Steffo; 27 September 2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X