KDE Plasma 5.20 Should Be Crashing A Lot Less Under Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Still waiting for an announcement that Plasma Wayland will finally work with Nouveau.
    Still waiting for an announcement that Plasma Wayland will finally work with Intel. I have yet to give 5.20 a try, but up to 5.19, I couldn't get it to run on my Intel-only system.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
      Now we only need SDDM to fully support Wayland sessions (instead of logging-in to a "black screen"), or some another Wayland-compliant display manager, excluding GDM which brings us tons of unneeded dependencies while we're using KDE Plasma, KDE's programs and other QT5-based apps.
      I'm waiting as well since a long time for this promised day when SDDM will include Wayland support :-( I tried GDM too, but it didn't work in all cases like SDDM and it really has to many dependencies that I would like to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
        How about not crashing at all? Imagine if Windows Explorer kept crashing, people would be ripping MS a new one, though in all fairness Win 7's Explorer does have a tendency to lock up and crash every once in a while.
        But Windows Explorer isn't targeting a new technology (and yes, I know Wayland itself isn't that new anymore, but for KDE, it's still pretty new as they only started to really focus on Wayland support not too long ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Still waiting for an announcement that Plasma Wayland will finally work with Intel. I have yet to give 5.20 a try, but up to 5.19, I couldn't get it to run on my Intel-only system.
          Plasma Wayland worked always quite well for me with Intel & AMD. Do you have a special GPU or driver? Did you try modesetting only after removing xf86-video-intel?
          Last edited by R41N3R; 26 September 2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post
            Awesome. After how many years now? Wayland is STILL the future! :P But in all seriousness, I can't wait til this is ready for primetime, as plasma is my recommendation to most new linux users. A lot of laptop owners in my life. What would probably be even better is that vulkan renderer working; I bet it'd allow for some nice power and battery life optimizations...
            The time it takes to do the things you need ... Plasma doesn't have Red Hat paying its developers to fix problems. Switching to Wayland is a long-term necessary, but not a priority, we've been using Xorg for years, it hasn't suddenly become unusable. So calm is the virtue of the strong!
            However on my pc wayland is already usable, unfortunately there are some problems, for example I use Kmail and kmail still has some problems with wayland, for the rest I often use it without problems.

Comment

Look forward to testing it out .... but not holding my breath.
              .19 Still quite buggy for me with nvidia. Changing window decorations crashed me out.
              Also Cairo Dock in particular was a mess on wayland ... would love to see something done there but that ole girl probably needs a rewrite.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                Plasma doesn't have Red Hat paying its developers to fix problems.
                Ehhh... technically RedHat is owned by IBM now, who also own BlueSystems that sponsor Plasma dev? There's also whomever owns SUSE now that iirc give KDE some love too?

KDE has received several million in funding in recent years IIRC, so it's not like they're with no financial backing at all, no clue if they're transparent with how that's spent, pretty sure the well known dev names within KDE are being paid, Nate was contributing to the community unpaid for quite a while, but eventually was brought onto a paid role where he makes a higher rate of contributions now for example.

Comment

A bit sad that I used GNOME with Wayland like 2 years ago, but had to switch back to X when I jumped to Plasma 5. But it's good to see that stuff is happening.

Comment

In fact, it was crashing a lot more...

Couldn't KDE be stable for once? :<

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I have mixed results with Plasma Wayland on Intel.

On Plasma 5.14 (what Debian 10 ships with) running on Wayland, with a self-built 5.1 kernel, libglvnd 1.1.1, libdrm 2.4.99 and Mesa 19.1 (Debian 10 ships with kernel 4.18, libglvnd 1.1.0, libdrm 2.4.97 and Mesa 18.3)
                      - I get random hard lockups on my Skylake desktop running off the iGPU. System locks up so hard that even the reset button on the chassis does not restart the machine; i have to power cycle.
                      - I do not get any lockups on my Skylake laptop
                      - I do not get any lockups on my Gemini Lake laptop
                      - I do not get any lockups on my Apollo Lake laptop either

One very strange thing I noticed though, is that if I run a full memtest diagnostic on my desktop (which, by the way, returns no errors), the desktop stays stable on Wayland for a few weeks before the random crashes start appearing.

Something is not right somewhere.
                      Last edited by Sonadow; 27 September 2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X