Firefox Nightly Flips On New JIT "Warp" Code For Greater JavaScript Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

That's a fair criticism Girolamo_Cavazzoni, so let me be clear.

The things that made the old Firefox great were that, unlike all other Android browsers, it was the most like a desktop browser, and had myriads of settings so you could customize it the way you wanted.

You could set a custom home page, bookmarks would drop down when you clicked on the URL bar, and it could openly cleanly with your home page at startup. And one of the best things is that it supported the same extensions as the desktop browser. It also worked on almost all websites, even more than the current desktop browser.

Now it's like all other Android browsers. It wants to force you to use some screwy alternate bookmark system, in this case "Collections.", so now you have to go through multiple clicks to get to bookmarks. When opening new pages it creates new tabs for each one, so that you're soon inundated with a plethora of tabs you have to manually close. You can't start up with a custom home page unless you remember to go through multiple clicks and open a menu to click on "Quit." It dropped almost all extension support, in fact I think it now only supports five or six. And it's broken on many websites, especially when using interactive dialogs.

In short Mozilla completely changed the user experience for no reason whatsoever. And this isn't just my opinion, it's they opinion of most users. That's why its ratings suddenly plummeted, with myriads of the same complaints, immediately after the completely unnecessary changes.

It really is a shame that Mozilla has lost its way, as I've always wanted to support a different browser engine, and until a few years ago I could on the desktop, and until Daylight I could on Android. But unfortunately once Fennec becomes too insecure I'll probably have to move to Chrome, even though it's a much inferior browser compared to Fennec. However it's the closest to what Fennec used to be. The sad fact is that with the exit of Firefox, there simply aren't any acceptable Android browsers remaining.
    I could not believe what you wrote, but when I installed manually Firefox daylight I was shocked. What did Mozilla do to this beautiful browser? Is Mozilla completly insane? Hope Firefox ESR 68 stays supported until Mozilla will fix this desaster.

Comment

I love desktop Firefox and Android Firefox, period.
      I am a strick privacy user.
      And that's what I get from Firefox, not by any other browser which different schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It also means there's now more room for web developers to produce slower web sites. Every optimization means the web site can perform slower.
        No web developer cares what Mozilla does with Firefox. They're only interested in Chrome and, by extension, every other browser that is not Firefox.

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I could not believe what you wrote, but when I installed manually Firefox daylight I was shocked. What did Mozilla do to this beautiful browser? Is Mozilla completly insane? Hope Firefox ESR 68 stays supported until Mozilla will fix this desaster.
        I'm a bit of a Firefox fanboy but calling the old Firefox Android browser "beautiful" is a stretch even for me. It's vastly inferior to desktop Firefox, and frustratingly sluggish. I use Firefox Focus as my default "open link from random app" browser because it's faster, lighter, and doesn't retain any browsing history (not that it's special in that regard). I have not tried the new mainline browser yet. I was hoping other people could beta test it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yeah. I really dislike all the built-in blockers and privacy crap Firefox includes these days. And I mean crap because those break more websites than anything else in my experience. Plus, unlike extensions that can be disabled and enabled from the toolbar, the built-in ones require me to go into the settings menu and disable them there...just an extra layer of annoyance.

I'm still a Firefox user, but damn are they trying my patience.
          honestly I prefer a few broken sites more than all that annoying advertising trying to manipulate me and to disturb my concentration on what I read.

site managers should focus more on doing some well-chosen reviews and making recommendations for the purchase of well-targeted "things" to their audience, rather than randomly placing advertisements that are just annoying and bring bad karma.
          Last edited by nokipaike; 27 September 2020, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nokipaike View Post

honestly I prefer a few broken sites more than all that annoying advertising trying to manipulate me and to disturb my concentration on what I read.

site managers should focus more on doing some well-chosen reviews and making recommendations for the purchase of well-targeted "things" to their audience, rather than randomly placing advertisements that are just annoying and bring bad karma.
            For me, the issue is the Firefox ones break a lot of streaming video sites that I pay for. It blocking the Hulu logo scene or Comedy Central logo scene or CBS logo scene before a show starts makes it so the rest of the video won't play since the logo scenes are stored on advertising servers. It gets old enabling the usual ones with uMatrix, adding sites to various racist lists, maybe even temporarily disabling Privacy Badger, only to hit refresh to start getting all sorts of crappy ads and popups and whatnot and the screen saying "Please disable all internet de-annoying programs in use, more commonly known as ad blockers." "I just did that. I just spent 10 minutes doing that. WTF Firefox? Oh, yeah...I forgot, the built-in ones"

I wish they'd go back to focusing on being a better browser instead of the privacy stance they're taking because it feels like faux privacy with Pocket news giving me sponsored content and them doing "Studies" and how I have to opt out those "features". Other peoples' ads...no, no, no. Our ads...just fine. Whatever

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

No web developer cares what Mozilla does with Firefox. They're only interested in Chrome and, by extension, every other browser that is not Firefox.

I'm a bit of a Firefox fanboy but calling the old Firefox Android browser "beautiful" is a stretch even for me. It's vastly inferior to desktop Firefox, and frustratingly sluggish. I use Firefox Focus as my default "open link from random app" browser because it's faster, lighter, and doesn't retain any browsing history (not that it's special in that regard). I have not tried the new mainline browser yet. I was hoping other people could beta test it for me.
              Ditto with FF Focus. It's the only way to keep my phone from tracking me and serving up targeted ads on everything else I use. Use Chrome or regular Firefox and do some searches and the next thing I know I get assloads of targeted ads. I Googled for a hammer, bought it, and now it keeps giving me targeted ads to buy another f*cking hammer. It's a hammer. You don't buy them all the time. It isn't a disposable commodity. Fsck off with the hammer suggestions, Google.

Comment

Originally posted by nokipaike View Post

This is genuinely issue I ever faced when I used my browser.....

Comment

Working...
                X