Firefox Nightly Flips On New JIT "Warp" Code For Greater JavaScript Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    By the way, the new "Daylight" Android Firefox is an absolute disaster.
    You say it's a disaster but you don't elaborate the Why. I've been using this disaster now for many months and haven't looked back to the classic Firefox / Fennec. It's way faster on my aging SD801 and brings the most important addons with it.

Granted, Vivaldi on Android is a great browser and I like what they're doing - but it's still closed source.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

It's the internet. Any semblance of privacy goes down the drain the second you connect to a website.
      This is precisely what Mozilla is fighting against.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Plus, unlike extensions that can be disabled and enabled from the toolbar, the built-in ones require me to go into the settings menu and disable them there...just an extra layer of annoyance.

I'm still a Firefox user, but damn are they trying my patience.
        Good news, there's a toggle in shield icon's menu, next to address field. It adds/removes current website to/from exceptions list and reloads, unless you use it in private window - then it just temporarily disables/enables protection for that website.

Nothing fancy, like uBlock Origin advanced mode or even regular mode, but it does what you need.
        Last edited by ozeszty; 26 September 2020, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Too little, too late.

Have already switched to Brave which cherry picks the best features from both browsers (performance/ecosystem of chromium and privacy features from Firefox).

Comment

This sounds great, for Firefox and (IIUC) for all spidermonkey users i.e. the Gnome desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by aphysically View Post
              Those benchmarks aren't everything though, and it looks like speedometer improves slightly
              It also means there's now more room for web developers to produce slower web sites. Every optimization means the web site can perform slower.

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post

This is precisely what Mozilla is fighting against.
                And they have yet to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And they have yet to make a difference.
                  I enjoy their privacy features like blocking tracking scripts so what is your statement based on?

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post
                    You say it's a disaster but you don't elaborate the Why. I've been using this disaster now for many months and haven't looked back to the classic Firefox / Fennec. It's way faster on my aging SD801 and brings the most important addons with it.

Granted, Vivaldi on Android is a great browser and I like what they're doing - but it's still closed source.
                    That's a fair criticism Girolamo_Cavazzoni, so let me be clear.

The things that made the old Firefox great were that, unlike all other Android browsers, it was the most like a desktop browser, and had myriads of settings so you could customize it the way you wanted.

You could set a custom home page, bookmarks would drop down when you clicked on the URL bar, and it could openly cleanly with your home page at startup. And one of the best things is that it supported the same extensions as the desktop browser. It also worked on almost all websites, even more than the current desktop browser.

Now it's like all other Android browsers. It wants to force you to use some screwy alternate bookmark system, in this case "Collections.", so now you have to go through multiple clicks to get to bookmarks. When opening new pages it creates new tabs for each one, so that you're soon inundated with a plethora of tabs you have to manually close. You can't start up with a custom home page unless you remember to go through multiple clicks and open a menu to click on "Quit." It dropped almost all extension support, in fact I think it now only supports five or six. And it's broken on many websites, especially when using interactive dialogs.

In short Mozilla completely changed the user experience for no reason whatsoever. And this isn't just my opinion, it's they opinion of most users. That's why its ratings suddenly plummeted, with myriads of the same complaints, immediately after the completely unnecessary changes.

It really is a shame that Mozilla has lost its way, as I've always wanted to support a different browser engine, and until a few years ago I could on the desktop, and until Daylight I could on Android. But unfortunately once Fennec becomes too insecure I'll probably have to move to Chrome, even though it's a much inferior browser compared to Fennec. However it's the closest to what Fennec used to be. The sad fact is that with the exit of Firefox, there simply aren't any acceptable Android browsers remaining.
                    Last edited by muncrief; 26 September 2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I'm a diehard Firefox user, but there was an excellent editorial on how Mozilla has been mismanaged in so many important ways: http://calpaterson.com/mozilla.html ( If this was a Phoronix article and I missed it, I apologize for the duplication. ) and this brief but brilliant comment on it https://www.jwz.org/blog/2020/09/thi...nt-of-mozilla/

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                      It also means there's now more room for web developers to produce slower web sites. Every optimization means the web site can perform slower.
                      But if Firefox fought back against that by refusing to chase optimizations, all it would do is drive average users to Chrome and other browsers that chased speed more quickly.

Granted, that ship has sailed.

Comment

Working...
                      X