Microsoft Edge Is Coming Out For Linux Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Basically it is the correct thing to do for Microsoft. As the browser is based on Linux compatible code they should use it. In the video posted above it is mentioned that sync does not work yet but that's one of the points that's important for success.
    Auth for sync is implemented using a proprietary component called OneAuth. OneAuth has no Linux implementation, and porting it is considered a major engineering effort. So Edge will be switching to a different auth library, at least on Linux (probably MSAL, which Teams uses).

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Huh? Sure, did that last week. But usually I process that kind of tabular data with awk.
      Isn't that awk-ward ?

Comment

If MS really want to impress me, then they would need to release MS Game Pass for Linux, either using proton (or similar), or DX12 for Linux.. That would impress me, however I'm sure many Linux fanatics would lament.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
          Can't wait till they contribute to Wine development, that would be helpful asf
          This! When MS starts releasing a commercially supported fork of wine, much like what valve does with proton, that's when I'll reconsider my opinions on MS. Until then, this is obviously just a piece of their much larger EEE scheme they have in play...
          Last edited by duby229; 24 September 2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
            As for the Edge browser on Microsoft, I don't understand all this hatred. People who do not like it, are not forced to use it.
            But that's just the problem, if Microsoft does what they did last time in the browser wars, people who do not like Edge WILL be forced to use it.

I sure had no pleasure using Internet Explorer back in its day, but if I wanted to go online to pay my utility bill using the government's Internet Explorer-only web site, I was stuck using IE.

Never forget EEE: Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish. It's the One Microsoft Way!

Comment

I'd almost bet money that absolutely not a single person will ever use it on linux.

It's just chromium with extra steps though. like how chrome is chromium with extra steps.

Being tied into the google ecosystem not enough for you? get tied to the microsoft ecosystem too!

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post

Blah blah blah
                Good thing ActiveX is a thing of the past then, eh? I'm more worried about Google setting the terms of the web than Microsoft. I'm no huge fan of Microsoft, but I was genuinely disappointed to see EdgeHTML get dropped in favor of Blink/Chromium. Merits or lack thereof aside, having more competition in the web space is good, rather than having a Blink based monoculture.

On another note, a Microsoft-related articles comment section on Phoronix drinking game would probably be fatal. Take a shot for every time someone gibbers out "EEE" for the million+nth time.

Comment

It might be helpful for those who use Microsoft-based infrastructure (SharePoint, Office 365, Teams..) at work, Microsoft Edge comes with support for storing browser data in Microsoft profile like Chrome/Chromium does with Google profile. So there is use case for that browser.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post

But that's just the problem, if Microsoft does what they did last time in the browser wars, people who do not like Edge WILL be forced to use it.

I sure had no pleasure using Internet Explorer back in its day, but if I wanted to go online to pay my utility bill using the government's Internet Explorer-only web site, I was stuck using IE.

Never forget EEE: Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish. It's the One Microsoft Way!
                    The problem you describe is not Microsoft's fault, but the fault of subcontractors of your government, who make web sites, which only work in one browser.
                    Even in such worst case situations, you will be able to pay your bills from Linux, without having to use Windows, if you dislike it.

I will definitely be happy to have three mainstream browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Edge) on Linux, so I will be able to test my web related code on a single platform.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Firefox has the auto delete on exit feature as well.
                      From my experience (and yes, I do use this feature), Edge has this feature as well (I forget when it was added, it was not there initially).

Comment

Working...
                      X