No announcement yet.

Microsoft Edge Is Coming Out For Linux Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly I'd trust Microsoft with my data more than Google, but I'm already a Firefox user anyway. Perhaps if there's a totally open source Edgium like there is Chromium, I may give that a spin.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      If anyone from Microsoft happens across this forum, please do something right and bring Office to Linux!! (hint office 365 web edition is a joke for real users... it doesnt count).
      This. Can't run Excel Macros in Libreoffice. Yes there is some macro support and what Libreoffice has achieved is incredible. BUT. Libreoffice recommends rewriting Excel Macros in Libreoffice native BASIC. Completely useless for me. I need to access/use a supplier spreadsheet that relies on Microsoft Office VBA Macros for generating quotes/prices. I can't update the Libreoffice BASIC code everytime the supplier puts out a new price list. That workload is just insane. I need Microsoft Office for Linux. Right now I'm slumming it by working on those sheets with a Macbook Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

They never had it right, they just selected a different set of tradeoffs. In the Linux world, things can and do change rapidly, but in exchange, you can actually drop the cruft.

Microsoft is bogged down by all this baggage they must carry to maintain compatibility. They have the resources to keep doing that, but it is expensive and prevents them from making big changes for the better.

Having multiple versions of DLLs is not a mistake; that’s exactly how they accomplish their goal.

So what do you want? Performance, as well as maintainability for open-source coders who do not have the resources of a commercial enterprise? Or never having things break, but having to invest a lot of resources into keeping everything going, and suffering with the mistakes of the past?

This is just a typical trade off you make in software. Break compatibility to improve it (or rename your project), else stick with what you have and improve it where possible.
        Actually I'm curious about why MS doesn't adopt namepsaces/containers in their NT kernel.
        They have the resources to implement this, and they do need this because this is today's answer to DLL hell.

Comment

Fuc*king FINALLY, Microsoft!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Most 32bit software from Windows 95 still works in Windows 10 64 in 2020.
            We all know that "most" is not enough for digital preservation. But from my experience, "most" is highly exaggerated. Granted, your random one-window-diablo-character-editor will probably work, but Diablo won't. Without any patches. Same for e.g. accounting software I tried. We already talked about it in this forum some month ago where you stated that compatibility is 100%. At least we're now down to 'most'.

Yes, they tried hard not to break the ABI, but in the end, they introduced subtle bugs which made software crash in the best case. Who knows if there are examples of breakage where you get a different result shown in some window?

Comment

What I want from Microsoft is much simpler. I just want an official Remote Desktop Client, preferably hosted for major distros in signed repos. Being able to digest RemoteApp feeds on Linux is a huge missing feature; not for some mission to 'erode Microsoft's grip on the desktop', but just to be able to endorse MS RDS as a viable, cross-platform way for all users to be able to do their job.

Comment

I had to have MS-Teams on my Linux box for a while earlier this year. It popped a window advertising MS every time I logged in! Like that is going to have any traction with a Linux user!! So glad when work decided to use a different platform.

Comment

I swear, Michael tosses these kinds of posts just to sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch all the bitching

Comment

I dnt know, but Linux users shouldn't worry about Microsoft Edge coming to Linux because will not be default browser on every Linux distribution on this Planet. They should worry about the state of Mozilla browser, it look like Mozilla was bought up by Oracle and Steve Ballmer it's the CE

And this Edge it's not even the old Internet Explorer, it's Chromium as everybody here know that very well. Microsoft can't re-instantiate their monopoly on the World Wide Web but Google can do it make web compatible with Chrome not with W3Consortium standards.

Comment

I just hope Microsoft ships it with VAAPI enabled or as an option to opt-in. And also as PGO+LTO optimized builds. If they do, I'll start using it as most distributions don't ship with a patched Chromium + VAAPI by default.

Comment

Working...
                      X