No announcement yet.

Microsoft Edge Is Coming Out For Linux Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox and Chromium will do just nicely thanks, ta ta Microsoft, cliff and edge.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Wake me up when I can buy and use a fast modern PC which doesn't feature closed source components (UEFI, Intel ME and its AMD counterpart, NIC/SSD/HDD/GPU firmware, etc. etc. etc) some of which can and are used to spy on the user or limit their "freedom".
      Why? I'm talking about bringing adware to the Linux ecosystem.

You're right this is a Linux forum. What you're damn wrong about is that this world is not created for Open Source geeks who love to crown themselves with their "privacy" ideal every day.
      It wasn't?

I'm sure as hell you are running a binary Linux distro, you haven't formally verified that what you're running doesn't spy on you or have backdoors, in short, you're full of shit.
      What do you suggest? I'm sure as hell not going to back to Windows 10 full time. I also got tired of watching Gentoo compile.

Also, for some stupid reasons you believe companies like Microsoft don't care about their reputation and various laws which limit what they can do with your data.
      Lots of companies don't care about their reputation. They care about something else: PROFIT. Electronic Arts, Comcast, ActiVision.....all of the companies people really hate do not care about their public image so long as they make money. Microsoft is no different.

Let met tell you a secret: Microsoft products and operating systems are used by FBI, CIA, NSA and all governments of the world. If Microsoft had indeed siphoned the user data behind our backs, they would have long lost their clout and installations. Alas, nothing like that has happened.
      They don't run Windows 10 Home or Professional, they run LTSB. If Microsoft made LTSB available to the general public, I would happily run that. But it's not an option.

Lastly, fully open source Mozilla Firefox does have telemetry and does collect your data. Stop using it right away or recompile it!
      I actually don't mind sending telemetry to Mozilla. They don't piss the living daylights out of me.

Oftentimes open source fans are shockingly illogical to the point of being outright stupid.
      Dang. You mad, bro.

FTFY. A "false feeling of privacy" - maybe. "A feeling of superiority?" Maybe. "Closed source software sucks because I don't like it" - most likely.
      I don't like having adware in my operating system, if that's what you mean.

Now show me your FOSS contributions, so that at least other people could see that you put your money where your mouth is.
      An introverted guy hiding out in Idaho, I prefer to keep to myself and work on my code. Unless you want to talk about code, then I'm extroverted. - wswartzendruber

pq2hlg - Convert PQ (HDR10) video streams to HLG.
      pqstat - Read the MaxCLL value from a PQ
      pgsscale - Crop PGS (Blu-ray) subtitles so they can be muxed with cropped video without squishing them.
      la4k - A from-scratch Kotlin Multiplatform logging API; currently connects to SLF4J, Log4J2, JUL and includes a backend to help library authors with unit testing; currently in preview and published to Bintray.
      cryptokt - A from-scratch Kotlin Multiplatform cryptography library; currently only has hash algorithms with SHA-3 in progress; all implementations are faster than Bouncy Castle except for SHA2-512 and RIPEMD-160, which are very slightly slower.

I need to get back to work so I'll just stop there.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Wow, Linux users are really privileged to have another browser available that contains double spyware (Both from Microsoft and Google).
        Most likely Microsoft didn't built it on top of Ungoogled-Chromium.
        Coming as closed source, it goes directly to the trash bin together with Opera, Vivaldi and other closed source browsers.
        There's literally zero reasons to use such garbage when we already have Firefox and Ungoogled-Chromium.
        VIvaldi may not license their code under open source, but they do make most (possibly all?) of their homegrown code viewable for audit, which is significantly better than some of the browsers you mention. See https://help.vivaldi.com/article/is-...i-open-source/

Comment

Over 98% of software is created to earn money and nothing else. Go cry in the corner, an open source idealist.

Now on to a more serious note: I don't like that we have dozens of web browsers based on Chromium and basically none based on Mozilla Firefox/Servo/Gecko, whatever their current engine is.
          So I cry because most software is defective and does nothing but earn money for the vendor.

You cry because "free software is free but more popular than other free software. Or that there isn't enough different vendors providing you with free software".

Haha. I would invite you to cry into my open-source idealists corner with me but frankly I don't want you or your weird privileged opinions. XD
          Last edited by kpedersen; 22 September 2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

no m$ edge for me.... I am just going to run templeOS with holyC because Terry knew that nics are not needed.

Comment

I have tried Microsoft's Edge browser. I have it on an up-to-date Windows 10 machine with ony vanilla OEM Windows and Steam (and some games) installed, a liquid-cooled i9 with 16 GB RAM and a kickass GPU. Edge runs really slowly and often decides to redraw in the middle of my entering text in the search or URL bar, losing all my entered data. Most of the functional controls are hidden, usually through nested menus in a hidden sidebar or worse, in a hidden dialog activated from a hidden menu in a hidden sidebar. I have yet to find out how to open a download after I closed the download dialog box that was occupying critical screen resources for the hours-long download duration.

On the plus side, it wastes little screen real-estate on controls. Also, it has improved responsiveness and reduces the redraw lag in recent updates.

I do not recommend using Microsoft Edge at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Linux-Standard Snap Store
                Snap + Standard in the same context.
                Gotta love this meme. Can't even tell if you're being ironic.
                That's not to say that MS won't package Edge for the Snap store though, considering their cooperation with Canonical for WSL, but it's still a meme.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                  I have tried Microsoft's Edge browser. I have it on an up-to-date Windows 10 machine with ony vanilla OEM Windows and Steam (and some games) installed, a liquid-cooled i9 with 16 GB RAM and a kickass GPU. Edge runs really slowly and often decides to redraw in the middle of my entering text in the search or URL bar, losing all my entered data. Most of the functional controls are hidden, usually through nested menus in a hidden sidebar or worse, in a hidden dialog activated from a hidden menu in a hidden sidebar. I have yet to find out how to open a download after I closed the download dialog box that was occupying critical screen resources for the hours-long download duration.

On the plus side, it wastes little screen real-estate on controls. Also, it has improved responsiveness and reduces the redraw lag in recent updates.

I do not recommend using Microsoft Edge at this time.
                  The only use I have for it is on Windows at work. It seems to integrate with Active Directory.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                    bringing adware to the Linux ecosystem.
                    What? Where did you find adware? Do you even know what the word means? From Wikipedia:

Adware, often called advertising-supported software by its developers, is software that generates revenue for its developer by automatically generating online advertisements in the user interface of the software or on a screen presented to the user during the installation process.

I've seen your contributions, great, but the fact that you're just spewing absolute baloney is inexcusable. Don't want to read the rest of your comment because I find it difficult to argue with a person who's capable of writing complex software and at the same time is talking BS.

Also, who the f-k makes you install or use Edge in the first place? Or you want Linux to remain an elitist platform only for open source software? Then why Phoronix readers love Steam/Proton/Wine so much? How many good triple-A game titles do you know? None? Maybe you know ways to make it happen? No? Then what the hell are you talking about?

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                    An introverted guy hiding out in Idaho, I prefer to keep to myself and work on my code. Unless you want to talk about code, then I'm extroverted. - wswartzendruber

pq2hlg - Convert PQ (HDR10) video streams to HLG.
                    pqstat - Read the MaxCLL value from a PQ
                    pgsscale - Crop PGS (Blu-ray) subtitles so they can be muxed with cropped video without squishing them.
                    la4k - A from-scratch Kotlin Multiplatform logging API; currently connects to SLF4J, Log4J2, JUL and includes a backend to help library authors with unit testing; currently in preview and published to Bintray.
                    cryptokt - A from-scratch Kotlin Multiplatform cryptography library; currently only has hash algorithms with SHA-3 in progress; all implementations are faster than Bouncy Castle except for SHA2-512 and RIPEMD-160, which are very slightly slower.

I need to get back to work so I'll just stop there.
                    It's very nice to see your contributions. Still, accusing Microsoft/Google and other companies of spying on you without proving it? That's just low and mean. Let's stick to well-known facts of which you seem to have none as you haven't proved that Microsoft Edge is spying on anyone.
                    Last edited by birdie; 22 September 2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Possible streaming DRM leverage. Although I thought 1080/4k was a OS drm issue. Perhaps the libraries could be containered with it since they have OS rights.

Comment

Working...
                      X