Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 81 Released With Security Fixes, PDF Viewer Enhancements

Phoronix: Firefox 81 Released With Security Fixes, PDF Viewer Enhancements

Firefox 81 is out this morning as the newest monthly update to the Mozilla web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah the vaapi-on-x11 shipped in FF 80, but with a bug that made it inoperable. Gentoo (and probably some other dists) backported the fix to the FF 80 branch though. Unfortunately the DMA-BUF requirement in Firefox means we won't be using vaapi with nvidia proprietary drivers any time soon. I just wish I didn't use GPGPU for work.

Comment

meanwhie the android version looks like a cheap copy of a standard browser that comes with any phone (not chrome)

Comment

Because screenshots of themes are hard

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          meanwhie the android version looks like a cheap copy of a standard browser that comes with any phone (not chrome)
          I don't mind it. However, I did not like the update a couple of weeks ago that put the address bar on the bottom. My first 30 seconds of use was all "WTF happened to muh browser?!?!" and then I opened the settings menu and fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by aphysically View Post
            Yeah the vaapi-on-x11 shipped in FF 80, but with a bug that made it inoperable. Gentoo (and probably some other dists) backported the fix to the FF 80 branch though. Unfortunately the DMA-BUF requirement in Firefox means we won't be using vaapi with nvidia proprietary drivers any time soon. I just wish I didn't use GPGPU for work.
            i switched to prime render offload and forgot about nvidia if it is not for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't mind it. However, I did not like the update a couple of weeks ago that put the address bar on the bottom. My first 30 seconds of use was all "WTF happened to muh browser?!?!" and then I opened the settings menu and fixed it.
              First I heard they lost non-"recommended" extension support, thus I delayed the update.
              Then I heard they even deleted the tab reorder function, then I will never "update" the Firefox for Android until it is fixed.
              I also heard it don't even retain my browsing session/password/tab opened, so I really don't know if I will ever "update" it anyway.

Comment

billyswong they remove everything that made firefox special.
                they also remove about:config (in case you need it)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They're constantly asking for UI/UX feedback on Twitter and Github.

Comment

Michael

How is FreeBSD looking for VAAPI on Firefox 80 +, either FreeBSD-Wayland or FreeBSD-X11?

Comment

Working...
                    X