Firefox 81 Released With Security Fixes, PDF Viewer Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c2p_ View Post
    They're constantly asking for UI/UX feedback on Twitter and Github.
    Doesn't mean they give even the tiniest of squirrels about what that feedback actually is though. You might as well shout it into the Grand Canyon: you'd have as much chance of them acting on it.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Doesn't mean they give even the tiniest of squirrels about what that feedback actually is though. You might as well shout it into the Grand Canyon: you'd have as much chance of them acting on it.
      edit> To be clear, FF is still the only browser I use. But every year they make it harder and harder to actually LIKE it on any merit other than philosophical ones, and sometimes not even that.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

LOL, you don't know what you're talking about. Mozilla employee responsible for UI/UX is asking for feedback almost every single day and talks about updates and decisions that will be made. But here we are, some dumbass from Phoronix forums that says that Mozilla isn't listening anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It's damn slow with very complex documents like some maps with huge amount of detail.
          Well that is not surprising. Whenever we create pdf documents from extensive autocad drawings, even Adobe Acrobat has trouble opening them. And sometimes it just crashes on it. So it is not only Firefox having the problem. It is even better, it does not crash like acrobat does.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I'd never being able to run YT videos above 720p on VLC, so never bothered with CPU utilization. The FF utilization on 1080p/60fps videos, with hw accel is around 10% on a quad core i7 3770k (stock speed). Same video on that CPU without accel is around 20/30%.

Obviously, a weaker CPU will benefit the most. Some CPUs that stutter on 1080p/60 videos may now play them smoothly.
            Here I am. Very old Turion X2 with Radeon HD3450, something like 10-11 years old. 1080p videos were not playable at all. Did some "magic" with firefox settings (to force hw accel) and now they play well!

Comment

The transition to Firefox Quantum was a mess which is still being fixed, and I think remaining issues won't be, or simply can't be. I still miss a decent download manager. The recent "improvement" in Firefox mobile actually made me flat-out abandon it. Ended up moving to the Brave mobile browser. Sure, it has some annoyances, but the changes to the UI in Firefox made me want to throw my phone across the room in frustration.

Fortunately, I actually have an archive of the last version before they "improved" it. That said, they may have reverted some of the more stupid changes they made; I haven't checked, and I'm not going to. The only reason it is even still installed is that the only way of backing up bookmarks is to use a Firefox Sync account. No freakin' thank you. So I need to find the time/energy/enthusiasm to copy 'n' paste all the bookmarks I've got.

Mozilla actually lost a long-time user with that, and I'm trying hard to move off Firefox on the desktop as well. I loathe Chrome, though, so I'm sort of stuck as most other browsers now just seem to be Chrome reskins.

PDF viewing in Firefox has always been a bit weird. Most recent journal PDFs open fine, but some older ones are broken. PDFs with big, complex images will break, but then they frequently have issues with other PDF readers so I'm hardly shocked there.

Comment

Vaapi is even working for me in FF on Pinephone. I think it's due to v4l2-request finally landing in gstreamer. I was worried it would take a long time to get that sorted out, but it works great right now!

Comment

Straight top corners and blank top left space ain't fixed yet.

Comment

That new AlpenGlow theme just absolutely terrible you can't read dark tab fonts on it normally. It should be rather a consistently dark theme with white fonts.
                    YouTube sound still doesn't work since ... I don't even remember since how long while it was always working with chrome. Mozilla get your st together.

Also this big fat url bar bubble was just the stupidest thing they did recently.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
                      I've been waiting for Nvidia support for video acceleration. I know ffmpeg can handle Nvidia GPUs very well. Or can I use some kind of vaapi-to-Nvidia converter?
                      Not for FIrefox - you can use the vpdau driver for vaapi to use vaapi in other applications, but the Firefox implementation requires DMA-BUF which is unsupported by nvidia-drivers because the required kernel symbol is exported GPL-only by the kernel and therefore can't be used by the proprietary nvidia driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X