KDE Plasma 5.21 Bringing Systemd Startup Support, Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.21 Bringing Systemd Startup Support, Wayland Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.21 Bringing Systemd Startup Support, Wayland Improvements

KDE developer Nate Graham known for his weekly development summaries characterized this week as "the floodgates started opening! Amazing stuff has been landing left and right every day this week!"..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to 5.20 - it seems that Plasma + Wayland might finally be usable without many compromises.

Comment

So if it will be started by systemd, then maybe we can use systemd to restart it in case of problems and systemd can put it in it's own slice / cgroup to have higher priority than other processes, so it's always faster and smoother than everything else.

I wish they will implement a native control panel for systemd units like Manjaro has done so we have the ability to graphically control systemd stuff also in other distros that use KDE Plasma, not in Manjaro only.
      Maybe they can talk to Manjaro developers to upstream their work.

Comment

Does that mean it'll start without SDDM or GDM needed? Like directly?

Comment

Some nice improvements and fixes for Wayland. I've tried to use Plasma 5.20 Beta from kde-unstable in Arch Linux, but so far it will just crash after 30 seconds with radeonsi and kick me out of my Wayland desktop session back to sddm. I'm sure it will be fixed in the next days...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Does that mean it'll start without SDDM or GDM needed? Like directly?
            I, too, am curious about how this will handle login management and if this'll fix a lot of what tildearrow was talking about the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              So if it will be started by systemd, then maybe we can use systemd to restart it in case of problems and systemd can put it in it's own slice / cgroup to have higher priority than other processes, so it's always faster and smoother than everything else.

I wish they will implement a native control panel for systemd units like Manjaro has done so we have the ability to graphically control systemd stuff also in other distros that use KDE Plasma, not in Manjaro only.
              Maybe they can talk to Manjaro developers to upstream their work.
              It looks to be on the roadmap.

Plasma now uses Systemd for startup (when Systemd is available), which brings numerous benefits such as faster startup and load times, no more odd race conditions during startup causing weird bugs, better session cleanup on logout ending the possibility of logout hangs, better logging of what’s going on, the possibility of using slices and cgroups to improve responsiveness and clarity in system monitoring apps, and much more. It’s a very exciting change! (David Edmundson, 5.21)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It looks to be on the roadmap.
                That only says it makes it possible, not that it's on a(ny) roadmap. Though I hope it is.
                Last edited by bug77; 19 September 2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Meanwhile, a critical memory leak bug in Dolphin (and the file browsing component) when files are being watched for changes by other processes still unfixed because "it's too hard".
                  Last edited by ahmed.delanight; 19 September 2020, 11:07 AM.

Comment

KDE keeps killing lately... if they focus on several annoyances here and there to fix them then it's gonna be the perfect land to live in... thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                    X