KDE Plasma 5.21 Bringing Systemd Startup Support, Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

And just to add to this, F33 will be on 5.19. You get whatever version was in Rawhide when they branched for the next release. F33 branched on August 11th with Plasma 5.19 in place.
    I have already upgraded a couple of machines as I have a desperate need to get to ROCM 3.7, FFMpeg with rav1e support and nice to have KDE working right on Wayland. Strike out on all 3 counts even looking on koji and in rawhide on rpmfusion. It has been a long time since I have been desperate enough to go fishing in Koji and rawhide but Fedora isn't as bleeding edge as it used to be. Upstream is doing really good things but those changes just aren't making their ways to the repos.

The most glaring issue still hanging around in the KDE spin of FC33 on Wayland is that thing where the cursor suddenly changes size depending on where you are hovering.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
      And there are more, both older and newer, bug reports about sorting being broken in various ways, either not applying correctly or not applying at all.
      I looked at your bug report, saw the gif and tried to reproduce. I am on Manjaro with Plasma 5.19.5, Frameworks 5.73, Qt 5.15, Apps 20.08.1.

Changing and applying the different sortings had no effect which was odd. I then discovered that the one that is applied only takes effect when I open the settings menu up again for sorting... This was only tested on an existing session/window that has multiple tabs open and was restored from a reboot. Definitely a bug there though with that behaviour. Natural sorting is working as expected when I go through that little buggy dance to apply the different sorting behaviours, all are as I expect them to be. Perhaps you can reproduce it to be the same problem/cause?

Regarding drivers, I recall kernel log or something about not being able to access some file on disk, either the driver or related module to load. The kernel that the session booted into is understandably still running in memory, even if the kernel itself and it's kernel modules had been deleted from disk during the update. I can still be on the same 5.4 kernel, but a different point release has a different file location, so I'm not surprised if it's broken there. I don't know what would be different with Gnome, other than perhaps it has a graceful fallback when that error happens? Pretty sure if I try to use the GPU for say CUDA it would also complain at this point. KWIN is presumably trying to do something with logout/shutdown that attempts to load/access the kernel module for some reason? (or in trying to use the driver for some call, and kernel is all "Nope!")

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

hrm https://invent.kde.org/unmaintained/systemd-kcm - that unmaintained in the URL makes me think that the answer is "no"
        Then I guess they can talk to Manjaro developers to work together to upstream their work.
        I think one less fragmentation in Linux would be to everyone's benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I wish they will implement a native control panel for systemd units like Manjaro has done so we have the ability to graphically control systemd stuff also in other distros that use KDE Plasma, not in Manjaro only.
          Maybe they can talk to Manjaro developers to upstream their work.
          I use Arch Linux distribution. Since some time (I suppose couple years) I use kcm component calling systemd-kcm (currently in version 1.2.1-2). It works well, and provide basic control on systemd units, configuration, sessions and timers. Just try to test it out. Only I'm not sure if this is available in your distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by piomiq View Post

I use Arch Linux distribution. Since some time (I suppose couple years) I use kcm component calling systemd-kcm (currently in version 1.2.1-2). It works well, and provide basic control on systemd units, configuration, sessions and timers. Just try to test it out. Only I'm not sure if this is available in your distribution.
            It's not, I need to compile it or something, but I just didn't find the time to get into this potentially messy and time consuming situation.
            Kinda unbelievable that someone didn't packaged it for Debian based distributions, but I hope someone will in the future or KDE developers integrate it upstream so it doesn't depend on each individual distro.

Comment

Working...
            X