KDE Plasma 5.21 Bringing Systemd Startup Support, Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahmed.delanight View Post
    Meanwhile, a critical memory leak bug in Dolphin (and the file browsing component) when files are being watched for changes by other processes still unfixed because "it's too hard".
    Doesn't sound critical going by your description. Got a link?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I, too, am curious about how this will handle login management
      +1 more

SDDM blows.

Comment

The performance improvement is amazing, but what about get rid of the timer already and learn to sync to VBlank?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I, too, am curious about how this will handle login management and if this'll fix a lot of what tildearrow was talking about the other day.
          The problem appears to be in plasmashell rather than SDDM.
          For some reason Plasma has to crash (lots of things too) as part of the logout process.

One possible fix is to use systemd's KillUserProcesses (I have set it to "no" because I don't want systemd killing my tmux session), but that's like triggering the circuit breaker to shut down a factory rather than gracefully shutting down every machine.

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post

+1 more

SDDM blows.
          I think SDDM is too simple... including its lack of an animation on the Breeze theme.... (both Windows and macOS have a transition from boot to the login screen)

Comment

Okular’s recently-added smooth scrolling animated transitions now respect the global animation speed multiplier, which means that people who hate animations and have then turned off globally now don’t have to live with the animated scrolling effects in Okular any longer. We still plan to add an off switch in Okular itself for people who want to disable smooth scrolling in just Okular or are using Okular on non-Plasma platforms (me: Nate Graham, Okular 20.12)
            Off switch YES PLEASE.

Hate is a strong word, but it is accurate for this UX killing smooth scroll garbage.
            Last edited by ayumu; 19 September 2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, a critical memory leak bug in Dolphin (and the file browsing component) when files are being watched for changes by other processes still unfixed because "it's too hard".
              You raised this issue 1 week ago here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...y-improvements

Nate asked you for bug report URL but you didn't respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                I wish they will implement a native control panel for systemd units like Manjaro has done so we have the ability to graphically control systemd stuff also in other distros that use KDE Plasma, not in Manjaro only.
                Maybe they can talk to Manjaro developers to upstream their work.
                I'm not aware of what the Manjaro people have done on their own, but shouldn't you be already covered by this?

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                KDE keeps killing lately... if they focus on several annoyances here and there to fix them then it's gonna be the perfect land to live in... thanks a lot!
                Unfortunately, while KDE is IMHO the absolute best DE in general, in specific areas it does lack some essential stuff that can completely break some use cases, and unfortunately it also lacks (or at least it used to, up until a year or so ago) in manpower as a project to properly tackle these issues. E.g., off the top of my head:

- Updating graphics drivers breaks the UI dialog for logout/restart/shutdown for the current session, forcing you to use something like systemctl reboot (this could only be happening because I use the drivers via dkms, but still, it shouldn't be happening at all).
                - A release some 8-9 months ago completely broke file/folder sorting in Dolphin, and unless something else has changed in the meantime (e.g. the bug may have been fixed but not reported as fixed - I wouldn't know as I've switched away from KDE in the meantime), the bug report I created for this issue is still open and unresolved, even though additional people have confirmed the issue and even though it's a rather severe one.
                - I18n as regards to input of languages other than the standard, Western stuff (Latin, Cyrillic, Greek) is abysmally lacking. In other words, CJK support is non-existent. You can install an IME by hand (e.g. fcitx) but because the IME is not at all integrated with the rest of KDE, the experience is grating at best (in fact, this was the final drop that spilled the cup and made me drop KDE for the time being).

Add to that some other stuff like Kwin having fallen behind the times, SDDM being generally a pain in the ***, etc etc, and the unfortunate conclusion is that KDE is atm not exactly the perfect land to live in. But at least it earnestly tries to improve, and it does so based on the actual needs of its actual users, unlike a certain other similar project out there...
                Last edited by Nocifer; 19 September 2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Fedora is scheduled to release the Beta for FC33 next week so I went and checked the repo to see what version will be included.

kf5-plasma-5.73.0-1.fc33.x86_64.rpm

If upstream is 5.21 how is Fedora on 5.73? In any case I hope it includes all this new goodness we have been hearing about.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
                    Updating graphics drivers breaks the UI dialog for logout/restart/shutdown for the current session, forcing you to use something like systemctl reboot (this could only be happening because I use the drivers via dkms, but still, it shouldn't be happening at all).
                    This is a major gripe for me too. It's due to the kernel unable to find the prior driver on disk that's running the kernel module for it. You're probably using Arch or similar which deletes the previous driver when upgrading? AFAIK on distros that don't delete previous versions (they keep the last one around until next driver update to replace it I think, so there's a fallback) it's a non-issue. I could be wrong and it might be the kernel and it's files itself that I'm thinking of, but I'm usually updating graphics drivers at same time as my kernel, one of them is the culprit.

A release some 8-9 months ago completely broke file/folder sorting in Dolphin
                    I've used sorting lately and not had any issues personally. I've sorted by name, modified date and type. I assume it is fixed? I'm on Manjaro.

I18n
                    Yeah that'd be nice to see improved, I remember looking into CJK but that issue you describe IIRC was some finger pointing about who's responsible for input handling, which I think was Qt, but Qt would say it's Plasma, and there might have been a third vendor in the mix (might have been X11/Wayland).

Comment

Link bruv, I use Dolphin on Manjaro and the multi-GB leaks I experienced haven't been an issue since an update around April IIRC. If you're on a fixed release distro, you might just be lacking the update until your next distro release?

Comment

Working...
                      X