Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kaprikawn
    replied
    I keep seeing these 'better Wayland support' posts with regards to KDE. Are we close to or now have useable Wayland support?

My use-case/requirements are pretty simple. I don't use much of the stuff that people moan about when they say Wayland isn't ready yet (remoting, screen recording etc.). I just want a stable desktop with the standard apps (browser and stuff like that), I play games, mostly on Steam. And I have an AMD card running open drivers. Is it worthwhile me trying KDE yet?

I'm currently running Gnome, but I want to see what else is out there, and I haven't got time at the minute to learn/configure Sway.

Leave a comment:

• archkde
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Sometimes trying to change the wallpaper crashes Plasma (upon opening Configure Desktop)......
    As in, the whole desktop disappears or does plasmashell itself crash (panel goes away)? The latter is not nearly as bad as kwin is still running and you can restart plasmashell from KRunner. It does happen pretty much randomly every couple of weeks for me (sometimes even just looking at an idle screen when reading).

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Honestly I just think KDE is a minefield...

....it crashes every time.
    Heck, it even crashes when you log out and sometimes SDDM reappears ON A WINDOW!

And sometimes you are kicked back to your desktop, with SDDM running in the background...
    What do you mean by "every time"? The SDDM-in-a-window bug seems pretty interesting though. Never seen that, and I don't really know how that could even happen... but regarding the thing about being kicked back and SDDM running in the background, I had something like that a few times after the machine recovered from swapping. In my case, KDE took extremely long to exit and showed a (non-functional) desktop again before finally exiting a minute or so later.

Leave a comment:

• Random_Jerk
    replied
    I have been using Plasma for a couple of years now and love it's UI and its performance, though I found it hit or miss on Nvidia. I do have frequent issues with widgets crashing or working inconsistently, but even that has gotten lot better lately, thought not entirely gone.

Leave a comment:

• V1tol
    replied
    It's great I don't have time to mess with my desktop. Using Plasma on Manjaro since February without any crashes. Any problem I had is because I experimented with some stuff, like running Wayland on NVIDIA with kwinft beta and global menu built from AUR or something similar.

Honestly saying I did not have problems with any DE I used - KDE, XFCE or whatever. Configured it once and it just works for me. WTH you have to do to make desktop crash?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    3) I don't remember when it was last time when I saw this,
    Sometimes trying to change the wallpaper crashes Plasma (upon opening Configure Desktop)......

Honestly I just think KDE is a minefield...

....it crashes every time.
    Heck, it even crashes when you log out and sometimes SDDM reappears ON A WINDOW!

And sometimes you are kicked back to your desktop, with SDDM running in the background...

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I don't have time to mess my panel layout to try your setup, but from my needs of having a load indicator, a weather widget, a lanaguage layout swticher and a touchpad disabler it worked fine and I was surprised that I could do it so easily.

For the lm-sensors there's a desktop widget where you can choose which sensors to display, but it has a small problem that sometimes doesn't refreshes automtically and you need to do it manually.

I'm not using it anymore, but I have a shortcut on the panel to open a program called Psensor that will display all of them in a window and in a systray icon when you close its window.
    Sorry I've read this: "I don't need this and that, this feature doesn't (seem to) work, or requires something I haven't test and for this and that I have dirty hacks and workarounds". I have better things to do than to fight with my DE to get the results I want to get.

I've asked KDE developers to implement the features I wanted. They said "Plasmoids are meant for the desktop". Sorry, I don't need crap on my desktop. I want to see information in consise compact way at all times. This is what I've shown you and this is what you cannot replicate in any shape or form yet "plasma is fine".

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post
    Yes you can achieve this with Plasma
    No, you cannot. Show me a taskbar as compact as mine with all the information which I see without installing random plasmoids from the net which might work or not.

Sorry, Plasma in KDE5 is still monolithic. The desktop, the taskbar, the start menu, the plasmoids are all under the same process.
    Last edited by birdie; 17 September 2020, 02:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    This is a HUGE build of plasma for plasma mobile in particular. Included in kwin now is halium support, tile rendering support, and in the inclusion of input-unstable-v1 protocol which now means that plasma uses the Maliit keyboard by default for touchscreens (*Cough* plasma mobile too)!

Leave a comment:

• Riotvan
    replied
    My desktop stays responsive even if i’m hammering 15 out 16 threads during an emerge. Als never have any crashes regardless of underlying distro.

Leave a comment:

• andreduartesp
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

1) Monolithic design
    2) High CPU/RAM use
    3) Crashing plasmoids, crashing plasma
    4) Plasmoids which only work on the desktop (I never have my desktop open: I work with applications not with my desktop) and cannot be properly embedded in the task bar
    5) Counter-intuitive UI

Here's my XFCE task bar. Tell me how can I achieve the same with Plasma.
    1- I think you are talking about Plasma4, Plasma 5 has a different architecture
    2 - Are you sure? this video compares Plasma 5 with XFCE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrvJOXypAbk
    3 - This problem is from plasma 4 too, in this version we had plasmoid written in low-level languages, at plasma 5 only scripted plasmoid is allowed, and it solves this promblem
    4 - This is about the plasmoid itself, not about the desktop
    5 - This is completely subjective, for me plasma is much more intuitive than GNOME

Yes you can achieve this with Plasma

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

4-5) can you rereplicate my setup? No? Then what are you talking about?

CPU/network use plasmoids are truly horrible. There are no plasmoids to show a command output. There are no plasmoids to monitor (lm-)sensors as much as I want to.
    I don't have time to mess my panel layout to try your setup, but from my needs of having a load indicator, a weather widget, a lanaguage layout swticher and a touchpad disabler it worked fine and I was surprised that I could do it so easily.

For the lm-sensors there's a desktop widget where you can choose which sensors to display, but it has a small problem that sometimes doesn't refreshes automtically and you need to do it manually.

I'm not using it anymore, but I have a shortcut on the panel to open a program called Psensor that will display all of them in a window and in a systray icon when you close its window.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X