Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 40 Aims To Have A Better Extensions Experience

Phoronix: GNOME 40 Aims To Have A Better Extensions Experience

Following Wednesday's release of GNOME 3.38 was the surprising news of GNOME 40 being the next version as well as a new initiative to improve GNOME extensions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i hoped they would stabilize the extensions interface (or whatever you call it, API/ABI or something else). but it seems they will simply do CI to find out in advance when they break.

not exactly what i expected. unless i am reading this wrong.

Comment

what are they gonna call it something similar to Mozilla's " webextension api "

Comment

I love this news. I maintain an extension and have almost abandoned it because I can't deal with the constant changes.

Comment

Jai Shri Ram

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Stable APIs make no sense in this case. It’s a talking point for the ignorant.

YOU are to blame for YOUR mistakes.
            Ha? why do you say that? Care to explain your point? I'm curious.
            You're a developer I presume and know what you're talking about, right?

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
              I love this news. I maintain an extension and have almost abandoned it because I can't deal with the constant changes.
              Constant changes? The shell code, the thing you patch with your extension changes at worst every half year. Thats in software development terms a very long time. Its not like the KDE Plasmoid interface that breaks on point updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                Constant changes? The shell code, the thing you patch with your extension changes at worst every half year. Thats in software development terms a very long time.
                Time flies when you're having fun. I'm involved with ~50 open source projects. Not all of them get the attention they deserve...

Comment

emblemparade CI is the answer to your problems.
                  You mean like the CI that the GNOME project is setting up for extension writers, as is reported here?

Comment

GNOME already provides all that is needed. Gitlab hosting is there. CI is there.
                    CI, yes, but no easy way to test compatibility of the extension. That's why they mention "building a container that will run gnome-shell on a virtual framebuffer X11 server that will be deployed in a CI pipeline as part of an automated process that will be determine if an extension is working."

Sri is a nice person and smart enough to say things in a gentle way.

Here’s the less gentle TLDR: Get off Github and use the tools and resource available on your upstream’s GitLab hosting. YOU are to blame for YOUR mistakes.
                    Instead of being nice he should just tell the truth: You have to at least commit (and fix) your extension on GNOME gitlab because otherwise your extension won't be part of gnome. Because it all reads like GNOME wants to own and release those extensions together with gnome and force devs into "being part of gnome".

"* Bring extensions as part of the GNOME release process and provide early warning to extension writers that their extension does not work on the latest release.
                    * Centralization of gnome-extensions to the GNOME Gitlab so that all extensions can be seen and tested. Developers are free to develop their extension on any platform, but must push to the GNOME gitlab service for submission.
                    * A set of policies and requirements that will hold extension writers accountable for maintaining their extensions including unit tests."

Sounds like the opposite of freedom to me...

Comment

Working...
                    X