Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 40 Aims To Have A Better Extensions Experience

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    emblemparade CI is the answer to your problems.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      emblemparade CI is the answer to your problems.
      You mean like the CI that the GNOME project is setting up for extension writers, as is reported here?

      Comment


      • #13
        emblemparade Yes.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          GNOME already provides all that is needed. Gitlab hosting is there. CI is there.
          CI, yes, but no easy way to test compatibility of the extension. That's why they mention "building a container that will run gnome-shell on a virtual framebuffer X11 server that will be deployed in a CI pipeline as part of an automated process that will be determine if an extension is working."

          Sri is a nice person and smart enough to say things in a gentle way.

          Here’s the less gentle TLDR: Get off Github and use the tools and resource available on your upstream’s GitLab hosting. YOU are to blame for YOUR mistakes.
          Instead of being nice he should just tell the truth: You have to at least commit (and fix) your extension on GNOME gitlab because otherwise your extension won't be part of gnome. Because it all reads like GNOME wants to own and release those extensions together with gnome and force devs into "being part of gnome".

          "* Bring extensions as part of the GNOME release process and provide early warning to extension writers that their extension does not work on the latest release.
          * Centralization of gnome-extensions to the GNOME Gitlab so that all extensions can be seen and tested. Developers are free to develop their extension on any platform, but must push to the GNOME gitlab service for submission.
          * A set of policies and requirements that will hold extension writers accountable for maintaining their extensions including unit tests."

          Sounds like the opposite of freedom to me...

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Anvil View Post
            what are they gonna call it something similar to Mozilla's " webextension api "
            The WebExtensions API is not something that belongs to Mozilla, it is a standard used by Mozilla and Google, so both Firefox and Chrome supports the WebExtensions API.

            Comment


            • #16
              schmalzler You are free to choose how you develop and deploy your extensions. GNOME’s GitLab is just the better option.

              Comment


              • #17
                The gnome extensions web is full of broken extensions. And most of them is because of lack of maintenance. This will not fix that. And a CI doens't ensures everything works. We are talking about interactive things that mainupates an UI, they can probably run and all the APIs they use be working, but render a broken interface because UI chages in gnome-shell.

                If an stable API is not an option, I think a better solution would be to enforce declaring the gnome versions your extension supports when uploading it, and require to update that list each gnome release. Making the developer manually udpate the extension specyfing it supports the new gnome version, it probably means it has tested the extension. And users will not be bothered with an infinite list of extensions where most of them doesn't works well or doesn't works at all.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  schmalzler You are free to choose how you develop and deploy your extensions. GNOME’s GitLab is just the better option.
                  According to GNOMEs very own plan (see my quote above), you can't chose how you deploy your extension. It all will be done by GNOME. Development can be done wherever you want, but you need to also push to GNOME gitlab.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by agaman View Post
                    The gnome extensions web is full of broken extensions. And most of them is because of lack of maintenance. This will not fix that. And a CI doens't ensures everything works. We are talking about interactive things that mainupates an UI, they can probably run and all the APIs they use be working, but render a broken interface because UI chages in gnome-shell.

                    If an stable API is not an option, I think a better solution would be to enforce declaring the gnome versions your extension supports when uploading it, and require to update that list each gnome release. Making the developer manually udpate the extension specyfing it supports the new gnome version, it probably means it has tested the extension. And users will not be bothered with an infinite list of extensions where most of them doesn't works well or doesn't works at all.
                    The gnome extensions website allows you to filter by extensions that support your current shell version.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by schmalzler View Post

                      According to GNOMEs very own plan (see my quote above), you can't chose how you deploy your extension. It all will be done by GNOME. Development can be done wherever you want, but you need to also push to GNOME gitlab.
                      You need to push it to GNOME Gitlab... ...if you want to release the extension on extensions.gnome.org

                      No one forces you to release there, a makefile is enough to install the extension.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X