Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 40 Aims To Have A Better Extensions Experience

Phoronix: GNOME 40 Aims To Have A Better Extensions Experience

Following Wednesday's release of GNOME 3.38 was the surprising news of GNOME 40 being the next version as well as a new initiative to improve GNOME extensions...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ter-Extensions

i hoped they would stabilize the extensions interface (or whatever you call it, API/ABI or something else). but it seems they will simply do CI to find out in advance when they break.

not exactly what i expected. unless i am reading this wrong.

Comment

what are they gonna call it something similar to Mozilla's " webextension api "

Comment

yoshi314 Stable APIs make no sense in this case. It’s a talking point for the ignorant.

GNOME already provides all that is needed. Gitlab hosting is there. CI is there. Documentation is there. Discourse is there.

Problem is that extensions are mostly developed and maintained on Github. Sri is a nice person and smart enough to say things in a gentle way.

Here’s the less gentle TLDR: Get off Github and use the tools and resource available on your upstream’s GitLab hosting. YOU are to blame for YOUR mistakes.

Comment

I love this news. I maintain an extension and have almost abandoned it because I can't deal with the constant changes.

Comment

Jai Shri Ram

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Stable APIs make no sense in this case. It’s a talking point for the ignorant.

YOU are to blame for YOUR mistakes.
              Ha? why do you say that? Care to explain your point? I'm curious.
              You're a developer I presume and know what you're talking about, right?

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                I love this news. I maintain an extension and have almost abandoned it because I can't deal with the constant changes.
                Constant changes? The shell code, the thing you patch with your extension changes at worst every half year. Thats in software development terms a very long time. Its not like the KDE Plasmoid interface that breaks on point updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                  Constant changes? The shell code, the thing you patch with your extension changes at worst every half year. Thats in software development terms a very long time.
                  Time flies when you're having fun. I'm involved with ~50 open source projects. Not all of them get the attention they deserve...

Comment

Adriannho Extensions manipulate the shell js code directly. A “stable API” in this case would only mean you restrict yourself from manipulating parts of the js code. Such restrictions are equally stupid and almost impossible to enforce. If YOU want this kind of “stable API” then decide which parts you consider “stable” and leave it clean. That’s not something for upstream to decide on.

The mistake comment wasn’t really about the code and inevitable bugs. The comment was about the choice of hosting. Isolating yourself on Github is the root cause of all of these problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X