Succeeding GNOME 3.38 Will Be "GNOME 40" - Yes, GNOME Forty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    Nonsense you might think... Well in 20 more years it may not even be a laughing matter. Now off to xterm, looking forward to pipe a few commands together before someone gets a bright idea that the pipe symbol needs to go because it is too offensive or something.
    It is offensive.

What are pipes used for? Smoking drugs.

What does the pipe symbol look like? Trump's Border Wall ||||||||

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      When Windows jumped from 8 to 10, as dumb as the reason was, at least there was a technical reason for them not to use 9.
      What technical reason? Please just don't tell about "some software that checked Windows number and though they are running on Windows 9x" because it was never confirmed officially and looks like myth. Most likely that was marketing reason - 10 looks better for "last Windows" than 9.

About GNOME - well, I don't like this. I miss times when my browser version was 3.6.28 not 80. major.minor.patch versioning is simple and readable. What version will major release of GNOME get? It will cause confusion and it will be hard to see difference between GNOME 3 and future GNOME 4 in versioning.

Comment

With GNOME jumping from 3 to 40 we I think we need to see if they're smoking crack because that's beyond dumb. Then again, it says a lot about GNOME users if the GNOME devs think that GNOME 4.0 and GTK 4.0 is confusing.
        So only reason for group of people to make a decision to change the version scheme is because they dump.
        They do that because they don't want to make a fundamental change to GNOME in near future and have nothing to do being dump.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Or it just means that we should not expect any fundamental changes beyond the Gnome 3 paradigm at all. Hence, the 3 is dropped.
          I think this is the big takeaway, Gnome Shell 4 is unlikely to happen.

Comment

Disgusting

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

What technical reason? Please just don't tell about "some software that checked Windows number and though they are running on Windows 9x" because it was never confirmed officially and looks like myth. Most likely that was marketing reason - 10 looks better for "last Windows" than 9.

About GNOME - well, I don't like this. I miss times when my browser version was 3.6.28 not 80. major.minor.patch versioning is simple and readable. What version will major release of GNOME get? It will cause confusion and it will be hard to see difference between GNOME 3 and future GNOME 4 in versioning.
              That would be the technical reason. Anecdotally, that's supposed to be a problem with old, legacy software. With everything MS has done over the years, something like that actually being the case wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

No no no... you are all wrong, this is part of GNOME's direct work with Microsoft to port GNOME to WSL2! Next version will be GNOME 360, followed by GNOME 1 to help all Windows users understand each GNOME generation.

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

It's GNOME. They don't like being intuitive (and, of course, 144Hz has his pom-poms at the ready no matter what they decide).
                    He's a yes man with no critical mind of any kind, as most (not all) vanilla Gnome users. What did you expect.

Comment

It is offensive.

What are pipes used for? Smoking drugs.

What does the pipe symbol look like? Trump's Border Wall ||||||||
                      Can you send up some of those border pipes? I need to put up a wall between ontario and quebec to keep the wacko's on the east side, and around ottawa, toronto, and vancouver to keep the left winged hippies locked away from the rest of the population. And we can send a few pipes over the walls so the genderless lefty pinko's can smoke whatever they smoke so they stay passive.

(and in case anyone is confused, I'm being completely over the top as a response in kind)

And I did not fail to notice the "420" in your name, you genderless left-winged pot smoking pinko.
                      Have a border pipe.
                      Last edited by droidhacker; 16 September 2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X