KDE Launches Developer Platform Website, Other Progress During Akademy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Launches Developer Platform Website, Other Progress During Akademy

Phoronix: KDE Launches Developer Platform Website, Other Progress During Akademy

Akademy 2020 took place virtually this week as the annual gathering of KDE developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope the "one slide per scroll" website design trend stops. The part that really irks me is the way things are sized. Take the first section, the Multi-Platform one. That doesn't even fit on my entire screen. Either the text or the image is cropped off. It's like the site is telling me "Graphics or Information. Pick one because you aren't getting both." And there is next to no content or information present in that section. It's a picture and a sentence. No reason it shouldn't fit on my screen.

I'm on a fscking desktop. Don't give me some god damn horrid mobile presentation. And most of it is just very slightly off stuff so it's just jarring and annoying more than anything, like an image needing to be scaled back 10% or text given wider margins to make everything fit.

Did not one person test that site on anything under a 2K monitor? That's the impression I get. That everyone tested on a 2K or higher monitor. Which would explain a lot.

Sorry about that rant. When a site is essentially "one scroll per sentence" and designed in a manner that 49" of 1080p can't hold three sentences and a picture on Firefox with no zoom, well, I get "a bit" peeved.

That said, I skimmed over the tutorials and some of their documentation and that's some good stuff. Stuff I've been meaning to get around to reading but my summer has been swamped. Plus when you get there it's in a different, more compact format that does a much better job of presenting all the available information. Can't wait to see what else they add.

Comment

Great, another week without KWin improvements, while Mutter gets even more optimizations and even dedicated articles.

It appears this is how I see things:

- GNOME: solid base, horrible presentation
      - KDE: horrible base, good presentation

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        - GNOME: solid base, horrible presentation
        - KDE: horrible base, good presentation
        Which is the reverse of how it used to be in the heyday of GNOME NIHing KDE components for being in C++ and KDE refusing to throw out their solid implementations to rebase on top of GNOME's buggy knock-offs.

Comment

Great, another week without KWin improvements, while Mutter gets even more optimizations and even dedicated articles.
          Have you bothered to do any research before misleading others?

Quite a few commits considering everybody was busy listening to Akademy talks and discussing longer term plans in Bofs.

Mutter:
          A few updated translations: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/commits/master
          (Note KWin translations are kept separately)
          Last edited by stikonas; 13 September 2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post

Have you bothered to do any research before misleading others?

Quite a few commits considering everybody was busy listening to Akademy talks and discussing longer term plans in Bofs.

Mutter:
            A few updated translations: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/commits/master
            (Note KWin translations are kept separately)
            Hmmm the only useful performance improvement appears to be "Implement EGL_KHR_partial_update and EGL_EXT_swap_buffers_with_damage", and even so apparently Michael didn't notice/didn't care....

And that was like months ago...

Have you bothered to read the commit messages before commenting?

Comment

what has 144hz done to you? You don't sound like tildearrow anymore

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                what has 144hz done to you? You don't sound like tildearrow anymore
                I just am worried that the competition is getting real improvements while KWin still crashes and you know...

Traditionally KWin was fast and Mutter was slow, but during the last years Mutter has been catching up thanks to the work of van Vugt...

Every time Michael posts an article about van Vugt doing something, I get worried....

Comment

I just am worried that the competition is getting real improvements while KWin still crashes and you know...

Traditionally KWin was fast and Mutter was slow, but during the last years Mutter has been catching up thanks to the work of van Vugt...

Every time Michael posts an article about van Vugt doing something, I get worried....
                  Don't worry, until they both work smoothly on my tablet with an AMD C-60 APU, they both have work to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X