Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.15.1 Released With 400+ Bug Fixes

Phoronix: Qt 5.15.1 Released With 400+ Bug Fixes

Polishing up Qt 5.15 since its May release is now Qt 5.15.1 as the first point release in this last Qt5 series ahead of Qt 6.0 later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, but I'm wondering how many years it will take until this gets into Kubuntu...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Nice, but I'm wondering how many years it will take until this gets into Kubuntu...
      It is up to Qt package maintainer in debian/ubuntu/kubuntu
      but ubuntu 20.04 is on qt 5.12.8
      and ubuntu 20.10 is on qt 5.14.2
      I don't know but maybe ubuntu 20.10 can update to 5.15.2 now
      As when you look into qt patches for 5.14.2

it isn't really big deal and it should be eazy to go to qt 5.15.2 as whole 5.15 is LTS

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Too many.

Kubuntu people should use KDE Neon if they want Ubuntu and KDE else they should pick a distribution that tracks upstream better like Tumbleweed, Fedora, or Arch.

Here's something I thought was funny. The 5.15.1 zip and xz file sizes:
        • For Windows users as a single zip file (910 MB)
        • For Linux/macOS users as a tar.xz file (554 MB)

Comment

From a Kubuntu package maintainer. "Because Qt isn't used that much for Ubuntu they really don't want to upgrade it for the things they do use it for. They don't want to break anything." Kubuntu wants to have newer versions but they are at the mercy of Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by vsteel View Post
            From a Kubuntu package maintainer. "Because Qt isn't used that much for Ubuntu they really don't want to upgrade it for the things they do use it for. They don't want to break anything." Kubuntu wants to have newer versions but they are at the mercy of Ubuntu.
            If Neon could do it, Kubuntu should be able to do it as well. Maybe they lack the manpower, but I don't think Neon has that many participants either...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              If Neon could do it, Kubuntu should be able to do it as well. Maybe they lack the manpower, but I don't think Neon has that many participants either...
              Neon has more freedom to upgrade dependency versions. Kubuntu sticks to its Ubuntu base alot more than Neon does and is stuck with whatever version Ubuntu uses for that dependency. KDE Neon starts with the latest Ubuntu LTS and is willing to update ANY dependency as needed to give the best Plasma experience.
              Last edited by CTown; 10 September 2020, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post

Neon has more freedom to upgrade dependency versions. Kubuntu sticks to its Ubuntu base alot more than Neon does and is stuck with whatever version Ubuntu uses for that dependency. KDE Neon starts with the latest Ubuntu LTS and is willing to update ANY dependency as needed to give the best Plasma experience.
                I'm pretty sure Kubuntu has the freedom to do the same. But ok.

Comment

Damn.. I just compiled 5.15.0 a week ago. I should probably just do it again now with 5.15.1.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                    Damn.. I just compiled 5.15.0 a week ago. I should probably just do it again now with 5.15.1.
                    And I really recommend that you take a look on patches applied on Tumbleweed and Fedora before you do it again, if you already doesn't do it.

Qt is a set of libraries for developing applications. This package contains base tools, like string, xml, and network handling.

Or use Tumbleweed, it is damn good.

Comment

Working...
                    X