Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Many Mutter + Shell Improvements Coming With GNOME 3.38

Phoronix: The Many Mutter + Shell Improvements Coming With GNOME 3.38

With GNOME 3.38 due to be released next week, the GNOME Shell and Mutter development blog has put out their overview of all the improvements and new features to expect...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Someone needs to give 144Hz a welfare check. It's been 50 minutes and he hasn't told us who and what company has done what.

Comment

Compositor bypass has been available on X11 for many years now.

Comment

Looks like this performance improvement won't make it for 3.38 then.

Comment

Originally posted by libcg_ View Post
          Yeah, the wording in the linked post is weird, but I think they meant that Wayland also has gained this feature in addition to X11. I sure as hell wouldn’t be using Mutter if this wasn’t already available on X11.

Comment

Good work on separate frame clock, very useful thing, even tho. I'm not using multi display setup it's good they finally did it, better late than never.

Comment

I am very hyped about the separate clock per screen, both my 4 screen setup at home and my 2 screen setup at work will love it I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                I still hope that someone may step up for a quick fix that may could end up in 3.38 for https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/1407

Comment

Originally posted by libcg_ View Post
                  Not quite problem is Compositor bypass does not always mean the same things. This case the X11 and Wayland mutter operational meaning is in fact different.

Originally posted by bearoso View Post
                  Yeah, the wording in the linked post is weird, but I think they meant that Wayland also has gained this feature in addition to X11. I sure as hell wouldn’t be using Mutter if this wasn’t already available on X11.
                  No this is you believing you had a feature when you did not with X11.

Compositor bypass under X11 only bypass the compositor work by the third party compositor on X11 does not in fact fully bypass the compositor code that is part of the X11 server itself. So yes X11 desktop compositor doing a compositor bipass is not putting output on screen with compositor bipass enabled you still have at-least 1 frame of latency and the source of that 1 frame of latency is the X11 server itself.

Compositor bypass under Mutter Wayland solution you have zero frames of latency as this is a true full complete compositor bipass.

The keywords from https://blogs.gnome.org/shell-dev/20...me-shell-3-38/
                  without any unnecessary compositing..

X11 server based solution you always have some unnecessary compositing even if you have no X11 compositor loaded.

bearoso this is a feature that is not available using Mutter under X11. Yes we feature named the same under X11 and Wayland mutter being Compositor bypass the catch is the Wayland one is a superior implementation that is only possible because the X11 server is not there. In fact Xwayland that is X11 server modified to be on top of wayland can also lose the 1 frame of latency X11 suffers from due to properly bypassing compositor layers. Yes the process to modify Xwayland to run on top of wayland has been quite brutal working out how to remove X11 server internal compositing layers.

The fix to the 1 frame of latency compositor bug is get rid of compositor on top of X11 protocol and get rid of a lot of X11 historic implementation compositing in the X11 server.

This is another case of a feature that people have been saying why does not Wayland Compositor have this feature when X11 DE does while complete time person saying this not being aware the X11 version of it is broken and need to be re-implemented.

You are going to see this a few times where you will see wayland compositor getting a feature that they are sounding old but it really a re-implementation better than the X11 solution could offer.

Comment

I was about to mention how full screen bypass is fundamentally different under Wayland to X but someone beat me to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X