Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Power-Profiles-Daemon Taking Shape For Better System/Laptop Power Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Power-Profiles-Daemon Taking Shape For Better System/Laptop Power Controls

Phoronix: GNOME Power-Profiles-Daemon Taking Shape For Better System/Laptop Power Controls

The GNOME Power Profiles Daemon (power-profiles-daemon) has begun taking shape over the past few weeks for ultimately allowing better controls over system power preferences with different profiles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully this will give us hassle free more battery life. I tried Fedora on my macbook air when I bought it in 2013, and found the battery life is disastrous (~4 hrs idle, 2-3 hrs when coding).
    I knew there were ways to get the 10-hr battery life back through a bunch of tweaks, but it's a quite tedious process....

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
      Hopefully this will give us hassle free more battery life. I tried Fedora on my macbook air when I bought it in 2013, and found the battery life is disastrous (~4 hrs idle, 2-3 hrs when coding).
      I knew there were ways to get the 10-hr battery life back through a bunch of tweaks, but it's a quite tedious process....
      Linux in 2013 wasn't particularly good in terms of battery life. The fact that you tried it on that horrible designed hardware without proper drivers as apple commits nothing at all didn't help the battery time either.

Comment

Why not intergrate with tuned?

- dbus
        - profiles
        - maintained by Red Hat
        - can generate hardware specific profiles using powertop

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Why not intergrate with tuned?

- dbus
          - profiles
          - maintained by Red Hat
          - can generate hardware specific profiles using powertop
          From the README:
          Originally posted by README.txt on gitlab.freedesktop.org
          Why not...

tuned and TLP

Both projects have similar goals, allowing for tweaks to be applied, for a variety of workloads that goes far beyond the workloads and use cases that power-profiles-daemon targets.
          A fair number of the tweaks that could apply to devices running GNOME or another free desktop are either potentially destructive (eg. some of the SATA power-saving mode resulting in corrupted data), or working well enough to be put into place by default (eg. audio codec power-saving), even if some quirks might be needed on some hardware.
          Both are good projects to use if the intent is to experiment with particular settings to see if they'd be something that can be implemented by default, or to put some fine-grained policies in place on server-type workloads which are not as fluid and changing as desktop workloads can be.
          https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/hades...rofiles-daemon

Comment

How is this going to differ from something like https://store.kde.org/p/1282623/, i.e. will it integrate Intel P-state and CPUFreq for intel based systems?

Comment

This is pretty cool, it could also show remaining battery on Bluetooth headsets.

Comment

Anything that makes Linux power management less finicky is welcome IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Linux in 2013 wasn't particularly good in terms of battery life. The fact that you tried it on that horrible designed hardware without proper drivers as apple commits nothing at all didn't help the battery time either.
                  Yeah, it all depends on the hardware. On my current ThinkPad, battery life isn't great on Linux but manageable. Could be better, could be worse. However, on my previous laptop, a Dell Chromebook 13, battery life was excellent with about 10 hours of heavy use and 11-12 hours of non-heavy use. And I'm talking full-blown Linux here, not ChromeOS (I replaced the latter with Linux by flashing the full SeaBIOS).

Comment

is it really necessary for everything to have such long-winded names?

Comment

Working...
                    X