Inkscape 1.0.1 Released With Many Fixes, Experimental Scribus PDF Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkscape 1.0.1 Released With Many Fixes, Experimental Scribus PDF Export

Phoronix: Inkscape 1.0.1 Released With Many Fixes, Experimental Scribus PDF Export

Following the major Inkscape 1.0 release happening back in May for this very popular, cross-platform vector graphics program there is the first point release now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For anyone wondering, the "Scribus PDF Export" is a "Color-managed PDF export using Scribus". With lots of restrictions (no filters (like blur), no embedded Bitmaps).

Comment

Btw, is Scribus still actively developed?

Last time I checked it didn't look like it.
      Last edited by entropy; 08 September 2020, 05:46 AM.

Comment

The last development snapshot was released >1y ago. But there are still a decent amount of commits to the repository. That's all I know.

Comment

I've used Scribus a few years ago, it was very stable and seemed very much feature complete to me. I don't understand why we hear so little about it.

Off topic: the other open source package that is equally obscure is Natron, a full blown feature complete, stable, free and open source vfx compositing package (https://natrongithub.github.io/). I used it extensively at work to (re)render/composite 360 VR videos. Heck, it even has custom GLSL shader support. I just felt compelled to tell you that, it deserves to be used.

On topic: Inkscape is also awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
            I've used Scribus a few years ago, it was very stable and seemed very much feature complete to me. I don't understand why we hear so little about it.
            Dead tree publishing isn't that cool anymore. COVID-19 has also significantly decreased the popularity of traditional newspapers and letters. Those who do real publishing want to use the best tools for the task. Linux apps are always lacking in features

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Dead tree publishing isn't that cool anymore. COVID-19 has also significantly decreased the popularity of traditional newspapers and letters. Those who do real publishing want to use the best tools for the task. Linux apps are always lacking in features
              Scribus is excellent for conference posters.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                I use it sometimes for posters. While it is super useful to me and no open source software I know can replace it (also not MS Word), it has a few shortcomings that annoy me. Like I cant (easily) use preformatted text. If you want to make a word bold/italics/superscript, do that in the editor window, as soon as you reapply a style, that formatting is gone. It works if you import preformatted HTML. But that workflow is slow. Also there are a few missing features, that I managed to fill with scripts...
                I just have to assume that commercial products are better and for most others Word and Writer is good enough. So Scribus is Open Source King in a nieche where a few thousand $ for licenses are usually well spend if it makes you more productive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                  For anyone wondering, the "Scribus PDF Export" is a "Color-managed PDF export using Scribus". With lots of restrictions (no filters (like blur), no embedded Bitmaps).
                  Oh yes, there are a few wondering
                  I am an occasional user of Scribus, but a seldom user of Inkscape. For the life of me, I cannot get to using this new export feature in Inkscape. I am trying to export a simple rectangle that's uniformly filled. But under Save A Copy, there's no other PDF possibility than normal PDF. Could you give some tips on how exactly I could use this feature? Is this at all available on Windows 10 (my platform)?

Comment

Solved, thank you.
                    For the record: the directory containing the Scribus executable must be in the PATH.

Comment

Working...
                    X