Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDevelop 5.6 IDE Brings Better Stability, Performance

Phoronix: KDevelop 5.6 IDE Brings Better Stability, Performance

Version 5.6 of KDevelop as the KDE-focused integrated development environment is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How can I not be excited over better stability (something lacking in KDE)?

I can't use KDevelop for more than 4 hours because then it crashes for some magical reason...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I can't use KDevelop for more than 4 hours because then it crashes for some magical reason...
      Libclang (the stable C library) has gotten quite bad over the years. All the crashes seem to originate there, and most of my reports ended up with "we will be to fix this is libclang".

The reason is the clang team likes clangd much better, but the language server protocol just don't give what kdevelop needs.

Right now I switch to vscode for the time being since even if the clang instance crashes it doesn't bring down the whole editor.

Comment

Have they added include path scanning for CMake projects yet? Currently I have to go into the KDevelop project settings and add all the directories, which seems redundant given it already scans other variables from CMake.

Comment

Of course you reported bug? Or not yet?

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post

Libclang (the stable C library) has gotten quite bad over the years. All the crashes seem to originate there, and most of my reports ended up with "we will be to fix this is libclang".

The reason is the clang team likes clangd much better, but the language server protocol just don't give what kdevelop needs.

Right now I switch to vscode for the time being since even if the clang instance crashes it doesn't bring down the whole editor.
            If you don't want to use gcc or don't like it you could try Qt Create. I think is more stable and additionally supports language server clangd quite well.
            I'm still with KDevelop just because semantic syntax highlighting, which IMO is very well. This what I've seen in Qt Creator with clangd was poor.
            KDevelop has a lot smaller and larger bugs (I reported a lot), which are not fixed. The reason is very simple - they have less manpower than other KDE project. Recently when KDE migrated into GitLab started appear many 'merge requests'. And again there is problem with reviewing - manpower problem. It is said, because KDevelop is very well IDE, IMO.

Comment

Something must be broken with your distro then. I haven't experienced KDE or KDevelop crashes in Gentoo for a while and frequent crashes for 8 years maybe. I do not use Wayland though.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

Something must be broken with your distro then. I haven't experienced KDE or KDevelop crashes in Gentoo for a while and frequent crashes for 8 years maybe. I do not use Wayland though.
                Crashing KDevelop is quite easy. Just start to play with structured bindings in a template function and it might even prevent you from opening your project again due to a libclang crash that will happen on load while parsing the project. C++17 is not that bleeding edge, it's not the latest standard anymore and is enabled by default in GCC. Yet this is enough to make libclang crash.

It's not just that KDevelop don't have enough manpower, but libclang as well. The right solution would be to use libtooling, which has an C++ API that is being kept up to date, at the cost of not being ABI compatible between versions.

Comment

Working...
                X