Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Starts September With Faster Konsole Launching, Dolphin Thumbnail Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Starts September With Faster Konsole Launching, Dolphin Thumbnail Generation

Phoronix: KDE Starts September With Faster Konsole Launching, Dolphin Thumbnail Generation

KDE has kicked off the new month with some interesting improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Better speed and performance of generating thumbnail previews for files and folders.
    Hello Gnome developers, take some lessons here.
    @
    Also, where's the kwin developers? For God's sake!

Comment

Konsole is much faster at launching. This optimization is made thanks to Qt changes.
      Good to hear. That'll be a nice complement to how much I over-optimized my zshrc for startup speed since my first ever SSD is still sitting boxed on my desk while I finish preparing to install it.

(I went so far as to find a zsh-builtin way to get "seconds since the epoch" time and used it to make running fortune conditional on how long it took to get to that point.)

Comment

OK, why does KDE never engage in mass bug/crash fixing???

van Vugt is beating KWin by now :<

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Good to hear. That'll be a nice complement to how much I over-optimized my zshrc for startup speed since my first ever SSD is still sitting boxed on my desk while I finish preparing to install it.

(I went so far as to find a zsh-builtin way to get "seconds since the epoch" time and used it to make running fortune conditional on how long it took to get to that point.)

How much faster do they need it to be ? It's instant already !
          Have they come up with a way to read the users mind and opening before it's actually needed ???

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

How much faster do they need it to be ? It's instant already !
            They mean a cold start, even LibreOffice is almost instant if already launched once.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              They mean a cold start, even LibreOffice is almost instant if already launched once.
              Yeah. For one thing, my nightly incremental backup likes to flush everything out of the disk cache and checking for stale completion definitions when you call compinit does a lot of seeking.

I fixed that by having it only call compinit once per 24-hour period at most and use compinit -C otherwise. (compinit -C doesn't check for stale entries and just uses the cache without question)
              Last edited by ssokolow; 05 September 2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Some nice improvements. That folder thumbnail feature of Dolphin's is so useful for quickly identifying folders visually. AFAIK no other Linux file manager has this feature, which is a shame, since in every other way I've found all of them vastly superior to windows' awful manager.

Comment

Kwrite could really need some startup optimization – 0.8s is the fastest it will open and immediately close (with fingers ready on Ctrl+Q). If it doesn't sound like much, it is borderline irritating to use for git commits, but my muscle memory wants it for compatibility with Kate and Kdevelop, which I use for everything else.

Hint:
                  strace -feaccess kwrite 2>&1 | wc -l

Yes, Kwrite is checking file permissions on 68102 paths on startup. Almost none of them exist.
                  Last edited by andreano; 06 September 2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    It's instant on the first run, as in when I've just switched comp on. Which is why am a little confused.

Comment

Working...
                    X