Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    The next GNOME release could be 3.40 or 4.0
    There is no reason yet to chance the version number from 3->4, even if Gnome Userland apps will be ported to GTK4 because there are bigger plans for the shell and the outcome will be the actual Gnome 4. https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/W...ll/GnomeShell4

Comment

Alexmitter I believe GTK is adopting a new development model in which the latest major version is bleeding edge and gives no guarantees of breaking stuff in between minor releases. So we do not currently know what the "final" GTK4 will be like, and there will probably be a lot of changes to the API. In the meanwhile stable apps should stick to targeting GTK3...

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        Alexmitter In the meanwhile stable apps should stick to targeting GTK3...
        You are correct, but it is already clear which core functionality the API will keep and so GTK3 projects are advised to avoid certain things that were still in GTK3 but will not be available in 4. Here is the official page https://developer.gnome.org/gtk4/sta...ng-3-to-4.html

Comment

I can readily see the option to make Gnome Terminal look like a curved CRT with the layout transformations thingie... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
            And the most amazing thing is that the GTK developers actually allowed faux variables to be set, but they meant absolutely nothing. They were simply comments. I remember in the very beginning spending a week or so completely confused as to why changing the "variables" didn't do anything, and when I discovered the truth I was stunned, and even a little angry.

To this day it's one of the most bizarre and ridiculous engineering faux pas I've ever encountered.
            Aren't GUI scene graph components just plain JavaScript objects in more modern frameworks. So, those bogus attributes would be just non-meaningful per-instance fields of the prototype object.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
              The original Gnome 3 was three steps forwards and 6 steps backwards.
              Would you name these steps.
              We're still one or two steps behind.
              Thanks Gnome team, you contributed to slow down Linux desktop progress and adoption for 8 good years.
              GNOME team actually helped the Linux desktop thought minimization and customization via CSS. GNOME Classic session is one of examples currently in use on Red Hat Enterprise Linux and its derivative include Oracle Unbreakable Linux. The team helps moving away from the legacy X server as smooth as possible.

And most of it to chase the stupid touch screen and Apple UI fads.
              Touh screen support is a bonus in addition of stylus needed for artists and broad range of designers including graphics. Adwaita theme differ from Apple User Interface enough the latter took some ideas like the dynamic workspace. File Manager is far better than Finder.

Comment

Working...
              X