Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK 3.99.1 Released As The Latest Development Step Towards GTK4

Phoronix: GTK 3.99.1 Released As The Latest Development Step Towards GTK4

Just over one month ago was the GTK 3.99 release and now that has been succeeded by GTK 3.99.1 in getting quite close to the long-awaited GTK 4.0 tool-kit release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no file picker. Fuc*ing pathetic!

Comment

And Gimp which began it all is still stuck with GTK 2...

Comment

Good lord, I hope they finally enable colors and other parameters to be set by variables. I run XFCE so I won't have to worry about GTK4 for awhile, but I spent years off and on developing my own custom theme for GTK2, and then porting it to GTK3. And the main reason it took so long is that every single color, shadow, transparency, etc. had to be coded with absolute numbers.

And the most amazing thing is that the GTK developers actually allowed faux variables to be set, but they meant absolutely nothing. They were simply comments. I remember in the very beginning spending a week or so completely confused as to why changing the "variables" didn't do anything, and when I discovered the truth I was stunned, and even a little angry.

To this day it's one of the most bizarre and ridiculous engineering faux pas I've ever encountered.

Comment

The sphere moving around in the Layout Manager in the bottom would make a really, really cool loading icon and startup animation.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            The next GNOME release could be 3.40 or 4.0
            Yeah, because it took 9 years of f**king misery with GNOME 3, spawning multiple half-assed GNOME 2 desktop off-shots in the process, before GNOME 3 is now actually really useful, smooth running and a promising desktop for the future.

It absolutely must be time for a GNOME 4.0...
            Last edited by Veto; 04 September 2020, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Nice to see Phoronix comments being rational and well-thought as usual /s

Comment

The original Gnome 3 was three steps forwards and 6 steps backwards.

We're still one or two steps behind.

Thanks Gnome team, you contributed to slow down Linux desktop progress and adoption for 8 good years.

And most of it to chase the stupid touch screen and Apple UI fads.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                  Still no file picker. Fuc*ing pathetic!
                  GtkFileChooserDialog

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    And Gimp which began it all is still stuck with GTK 2...
                    And there are good reasons for it, GTK was originally born out of Gimp, but when Gimp was ported over to GTK2 later it heavily modifies widgets and functionality to its own needs because GTK2 and what the GTK inside Gimp became drifted apart. It is now a big task to port this abuse of GTK2 over to 3, but if it is done cleanly the port to 4 will be a breeze. GTK4 is mainly a backend chance and not so much a API chance compared to GTK2->GTK3.

Comment

Working...
                    X