Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.38's Mutter Gets More Optimizations - ~10% Lower Render Time In Some Scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    While this post is not about KDE at all, it reminds me that I haven't read of performance improvements in their camp for a long time. Will they be able to integrate some of Roman Gilg's KWinFT work? Has the dust settled on their disputes with him over the course of KWin?
    I stopped using KDE a while ago, and not sure about those optimisations for KDE, but QT6 is due end of year. So there will likely be a huge variety of benefits simply by it's integration (performance and otherwise).

Really looking forward to more Wayland in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      MastaG These MRs were already merged months ago..
      Crap you're right, completely missed it. Thanks

Comment

The usual round of merges before the release freezes kick in. More will come
        Hopefully the eagarly awaited rm -rf *

Comment

Originally posted by Leprechaunius View Post
          With every news like this I wonder, how does the Cinnamon compare? Do they backport these performance patches to Muffin? Clem Lefebvre never mentioned any performance boosts to Muffin, but we got the fractional scaling at least.
          Cinnamon and Muffin are stuck years behind on a outdated gnome shell and mutter. No plans to update anytimes soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
            Hopefully the eagarly awaited rm -rf *
            You forgot a /

Comment

MastaG Here’s a stretch goal that might make it for 3.38... I tried it some time back and it makes a difference under heavy load.
              https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1241
              Looks promising!

@doraskayo: do you think you could update this MR on top of current master? As per comment !1403 (comment 892384), I'd hope we can get this merged for 3.38

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

I don't think these two will make it in time for 3.38.
                Perhaps 3.40 or 3.42.

Still I think Gnome has been advancing really hard the last couple of years.
                Especially on the Wayland side of things.
                I wonder how other desktops are doing on this front though.. we always read about every small improvement on the Gnome side.
                This always makes me wonder whether Gnome is catching up on features or other desktops like KDE simply being far behind on stuff like (x)wayland support, multi-monitor support, undirect fullscreen, performance etc..
                KDE Plasma support on Wayland is there, I use Plasma on Wayland myself often, but some features are still missing, as some things needed to be rewritten. With each version of Plasma there are improvements and additions for Wayland, so there are no problems, but it takes time. No rush ... Xorg is still there and going nowhere, so when Pasma is ready for Wayland with the same features, it will be set by default.

Comment

While performance improvements for mutter are welcome, at the end, mutter performs quite well, Shell on the other hand really begs for performance improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                    While performance improvements for mutter are welcome, at the end, mutter performs quite well, Shell on the other hand really begs for performance improvements.
                    But most of the performance enhancements listed is for Gnome Shell, no? I thought most of the work on Intel 4K rendering was Shell-focused.

Comment

I'm not very fond of mutter honestly. I'd rather having modular components that any distro can use. So all their effort is not wasted.

Comment

Working...
                      X