KDE Plasma 5.20 Will Alert You If Your Disk Is Failing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
    Oh, disk failure warnings that was one of those features we had in KDE 3.5!
    See this Trinity haters? 'Cause every time I say Trinity still has more KDE features due to its KDE 3.5 base, people keep saying "no, everything is ported to Plasma 5 so Plasma 5 has more KDE features!", but this example proves that still not everything is ported over.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      Never rely on SMART, it isn't that smart.
      Of course not. On the only drive I've ever had start to lose data on me before being retired, it didn't complain until my nightly backups forced it to notice by tripping over a youtube-dl'd video it couldn't replicate... then smartd was all too eager to crow about bad sectors.

I see it more as a way to ensure that, if a background process doesn't surface an I/O error, there will be a secondary path to bring it to my attention.

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      PS CMR or SMR drives, I hope they weren't SMR ?
      I specifically double-checked that WD hadn't SMRed the 10 TB WD Reds before purchase and Seagate has publicly stated that they don't use SMR in their Ironwolf and Ironwolf Pro lines after those class-action lawsuits got filed against WD over putting SMR into the WD Red line. (I'd have considered going Toshiba+Seagate, but reviewers say comparable Toshiba drives are loud so I'll probably save that for when I can afford to use WD+Seagate+Toshiba to do something like Z-RAID + nightly online backups in a NAS stuffed somewhere I won't hear it.)

Now, the 6TB WD Red that started intermittently making scary noises less than 3 years into its 5-year warranty (and prompted me to get the 10TB drives ahead of schedule)... that is a size that they've started leaking SMR into the supply chain for so I'm going to have to specifically request the RMA over the phone and warn them that, if they send me an SMR unit as a replacement, they'll be seeing me in small claims court.
      Last edited by ssokolow; 29 August 2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

See this Trinity haters? 'Cause every time I say Trinity still has more KDE features due to its KDE 3.5 base, people keep saying "no, everything is ported to Plasma 5 so Plasma 5 has more KDE features!", but this example proves that still not everything is ported over.
        And still doesn't make me feel like going back and using it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Of course not. On the only drive I've ever had start to lose data on me before being retired, it didn't complain until my nightly backups forced it to notice by tripping over a youtube-dl'd video it couldn't replicate... then smartd was all too eager to crow about bad sectors.

It see it more as a way to ensure that, if a background process doesn't surface an I/O error, there will be a secondary path to bring it to my attention.

I specifically double-checked that WD hadn't SMRed the 10 TB WD Reds before purchase and Seagate has publicly stated that they don't use SMR in their Ironwolf and Ironwolf pro lines after those class-action lawsuits got filed against WD over putting SMR into the WD Red line. (I'd have considered going Toshiba+Seagate, but reviewers say comparable Toshiba drives are loud so I'll probably save that for when I can afford to use WD+Seagate+Toshiba to do something like Z-RAID + nightly online backups in a NAS stuffed somewhere I won't hear it.)

Now, the 6TB WD Red that started intermittently making scary noises less than 3 years into its 5-year warranty (and prompted me to get the 10TB drives ahead of schedule)... that is a size that they've started leaking SMR into the supply chain for so I'm going to have to specifically request the RMA over the phone and warn them that, if they send me an SMR unit as a replacement, they'll be seeing me in small claims court.
          So what is your plan to store your "compromised positions cat photos collections" ?
          Will you use blu ray rock based mdiscs or hp lto-5 tape?
          Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 29 August 2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

So what KDE 3.5 features are still missing?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

So what is your plan to store your "compromised positions cat photos collections" ?
              Will you use blu ray rock based mdiscs or hp lto-5 tape?
              At the moment, I'm still deciding what to do once my stockpile of JVC Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs runs out. (I've got a little over 1100 left at the moment and I fill them to 3715MiB (gaffitter is good for that when you've got something like a folder full of lgogdownloader downloads) and then use the remaining 20% to augment the ISO with dvdisaster ECC.)
              Last edited by ssokolow; 29 August 2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

So what KDE 3.5 features are still missing?
                Boot into different OS/Mode.. Or was it also in KDE4? Don't remember. Still missing though i think.

Comment

So if one DE misses one feature from an older version, but adds ten others, the older DE has more features? Is that what you're trying to say?

Comment

every time I say Trinity still has more KDE features due to its KDE 3.5 base
                    But are you sure it's still working with Trinity? This is something that might depend on some obsolete system software like HAL daemon.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Are you sure about SSDs being so bulletproof ?

What about wear level cause by torrenting, swap partition / file, log files and other tasks with a lot of reads / writes, would they still not fail ?
                      He never said they were bullet proof, in fact he said the opposite. He said that when they DO fail they go from working fine to dead in an instant.

And I've had multiple SSDs die exactly like that so I know he's right.

Oh, and "OMG YOU WROTE TO IT TOO MANY TIMES" is basically NEVER the reason for a modern [read: From the last 10 years] SSD to actually fail. It's always going to be something else unless you literally work in a lab that tests these things.

Comment

Working...
                      X