Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Mono Won't Bother With .NET 5.0 - The Official Microsoft Binaries Should Work Fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they're breaking compatibility, I wonder if they're going to finally get rid of System.Collections.Generics and just fold that into System.Collections.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That is just .NET Core... Coreeee....

This is the whole .NET with more libraries than just Core... several Microsoft or Windows-specific.

Anyways, .NET Framework does run for me to a degree it is good enough for running osu!... with the caveat that your prefix has to be pure 32-bit...
      iirc .NET is being replaced with .NET Core. Hence a higher version number.

(Was .NET core originally Xamarin? If so, going from an OSS replacement to the actual defacto version is huge.)

Comment

Is it just me not being a native speaker or is this article confusing to others as well? Is .NET 5.0 breaking compatibility or does it just work? The way I understand the article it sounds like ".NET 5.0 breaks everything and is too hard to support. Just install it, it's supported right out of the box."

Comment

I have been testing a complex .NET 5.0 WinForms application written in VB.NET, with custom controls and etc. on Wine, and actually is running very great.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Is it just me not being a native speaker or is this article confusing to others as well? Is .NET 5.0 breaking compatibility or does it just work? The way I understand the article it sounds like ".NET 5.0 breaks everything and is too hard to support. Just install it, it's supported right out of the box."
            I think it means the runtime is easy to deploy but the API is incompatible.

Comment

Makes me wonder:
              Since MS did the bulk of the work, maybe Mono could be used to just develop the handful of 5.0 blobs. Surely that's a lot less work than trying to recreate the entire framework.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Makes me wonder:
                Since MS did the bulk of the work, maybe Mono could be used to just develop the handful of 5.0 blobs. Surely that's a lot less work than trying to recreate the entire framework.
                Pretty sure it is what this is. (I called it xamarin for some reason earlier)

Comment

Michael's gibberish is often easier to understand for those who are not native, as they worry less about why everything seems nonsense.

But in this case, I think, the problem is that you are not a software developer, so maybe you don't understand what the devs are saying. From a dev's point of view the changes between this new version and the older versions is too much, so in their mind it is not worth to spend all those resources just to provide a fully open source (and buggy) replacement to the official release. From a user's point of view it "just works".

Comment

Is it just me not being a native speaker or is this article confusing to others as well? Is .NET 5.0 breaking compatibility or does it just work?
                    .NET 5 is more of a continuation from .net core 3 than from .net 4. They are including some older api's that weren't ported over to .net core before. I believe moving forward they are going to continue with the more rapid development pace of .net core, meaning you can expect more breaking api's in the future rather than prioritizing compatibility quite so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That is just .NET Core... Coreeee....

This is the whole .NET with more libraries than just Core... several Microsoft or Windows-specific.

Anyways, .NET Framework does run for me to a degree it is good enough for running osu!... with the caveat that your prefix has to be pure 32-bit...
                      Time for osu!lazer

Comment

Working...
                      X