Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Mono Won't Bother With .NET 5.0 - The Official Microsoft Binaries Should Work Fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Mono Won't Bother With .NET 5.0 - The Official Microsoft Binaries Should Work Fine

Phoronix: Wine-Mono Won't Bother With .NET 5.0 - The Official Microsoft Binaries Should Work Fine

Microsoft announced on Tuesday that the .NET 5.0 release is now "feature complete" for this major overhaul of .NET that breaks compatibility with prior versions. Microsoft .NET 5.0 has many changes to its libraries and runtimes, introduces WebAssembly support, support for single file applications/executables, new APIs, better performance, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm pretty sure that's good news

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      I'm pretty sure that's good news
      As long as it continues to work fine lol.

Comment

"albeit using the official Microsoft binaries"

It's opensource. They are free to compile it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
          "albeit using the official Microsoft binaries"

It's opensource. They are free to compile it themselves.
          It's not fully open-source but some components are blobs.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I cannot believe that, it is really released as pure opensource license without caveats...

I noticed that a lot of companies prefer release their software or stack as MIT (and similar) rather than GPL3... Both have the same effect eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's not fully open-source but some components are blobs.
              That's interesting - I was not aware of that.

Do you have any further information about these binary blobs (or provide a hint of what to search for)?

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                I cannot believe that, it is really released as pure opensource license without caveats...

I noticed that a lot of companies prefer release their software or stack as MIT (and similar) rather than GPL3... Both have the same effect eventually.
                That is just .NET Core... Coreeee....

This is the whole .NET with more libraries than just Core... several Microsoft or Windows-specific.

Anyways, .NET Framework does run for me to a degree it is good enough for running osu!... with the caveat that your prefix has to be pure 32-bit...

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post

That's interesting - I was not aware of that.

Do you have any further information about these binary blobs (or provide a hint of what to search for)?
                  From the link in this article - ""One reason to fork it might be to remove dependencies on proprietary components, most notably PresentationNative_cor3.dll, and Microsoft SDK build tools. Some of the work I've been doing with WPF may help with that, but it's still incomplete and would need to be forward-ported to the current version of WPF.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That is just .NET Core... Coreeee....
                    The devil is in the details...

Comment

Working...
                    X