X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Alexmitter Look up the dependency list for shell/mutter..
    GNOME Shell only uses a few utilities that aren't (yet) worth re-implementing like GtkIconTheme. Gtk3 at least has it's own main loop that is wholly incompatible with Clutter's.

TL;DR Gtk4 does not mean GNOME4, it just means Gtk4.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Anvil There will be a new release following the usual 6 month schedule. It could be named 3.40 or 4.0 now that the GTK4 porting can start soonish.
    LOL. I HIGHLY doubt that porting will take only 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Off the top of my head I can think of better sub-volume creation, possibly in Gnome Disks like You- points out,
    I can see that happening. GNOME Disks isn't something most end users would use anyway, so it won't bother them.

Leave a comment:

• reavertm
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Of course the project is vast and complex, but I think that uid313 was talking about its UI/UX, which is very streamlined
    Exactly, it is perfectly streamlined and not simplistic at all.
    Look at The Standard Desktop file selection dialog. It is perfectly streamlined to The Standard Desktop users' expectation for 20 years. Also to how these users expect drop-down list to be drawn (when there are so many items that they won't fit the screen in current window position, opening it for the first time produces that unique "drop-down list contains multiple empty items" behaviour, only when you start scrolling over it items are rendered from the beginning of drop-down list area).

Though I think I should watch my language. Last time I used satire towards The Standard Desktop or its cheerleaders, my satirical post in "Debian Qt maintainers step down" thread was deleted without notice. It seems their fragile egos have to be protected by moderators. So mind your words people!

Leave a comment:

• ssam
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    What kind of features?
    Snapshot browser. Not Sure if the previous work from Sun could be used or if Nautilus has changed too much since then.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Anvil There will be a new release following the usual 6 month schedule. It could be named 3.40 or 4.0 now that the GTK4 porting can start soonish.
    The shell does not technically rely on GTK at all as it uses the clutter based shell toolkit aka st, so what actually needs porting are all the userland applications. There is already a nearly done port of nautilus afaik.

And Gnome 4 will likely be a major technical update to the whole shell infrastructure to get away from the still quite monolithic structure.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "integrating btrfs features". Being able to manage subvolumes, snapshots and other settings (nocow, compression) would be good but IMO that would be best implemented as Nautilus extensions, rather than integrating that into core GNOME.
    Well, I didn't mean to integrate them into core, but exactly in the disk and file managers.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    anyone know if there is a Gnome 3.40 planned ?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

What kind of features?
    Off the top of my head I can think of better sub-volume creation, possibly in Gnome Disks like You- points out, and feature management like setting compression mode (and/or level), enable/disable reflinks, snapshot management, etc. Hopefully it'll be done in a somewhat generic manner by multiple GNOME users, like Ubuntu and Red Hat, so other things like ZFS, LVM, F2FS, Stratis, etc can benefit/be used where applicable. It would kind of suck if they did all that work and only one file system would reap the benefits.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post
    I wonder if they will integrate btrfs features into Gnome? In future releases of course.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "integrating btrfs features". Being able to manage subvolumes, snapshots and other settings (nocow, compression) would be good but IMO that would be best implemented as Nautilus extensions, rather than integrating that into core GNOME.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X