Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.38 Beta 2 Released With Many Fixes

Phoronix: GNOME 3.38 Beta 2 Released With Many Fixes

Ahead of the official GNOME 3.38 launch in September, the second GNOME 3.38 beta (v3.35.91) is now available for testing,..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"GNOME Shell has fixes for the X11 session login, a potential stack overflow in libcroco, fixing the login screen for systems lacking GLSL shader support, and other fixes."

Thank God! Already tested on Fedora 33 and is very broken.

Comment

I wonder if they will integrate btrfs features into Gnome? In future releases of course.

Comment

It doesn't run any longer on the ancient Mali T-628 Wayland blob from ARM for Odroid XU3...

Will need to debug en bisect it..

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          I wonder if they will integrate btrfs features into Gnome? In future releases of course.
          What kind of features?

I think not, GNOME is mostly a simple deskop for daily task for normal users. For advanced operations you need special utilities.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

What kind of features?

I think not, GNOME is mostly a simple deskop for daily task for normal users. For advanced operations you need special utilities.
            I wouldn't call GNOME simple. It's a huge project that's much more than just a desktop.

They could maybe add some features for btrfs volumes in their file browser (Nautilus), but that's about all I can think off. I'm not too familiar with btrfs, so I couldn't tell you what might be useful or possible.

Comment

Originally posted by iruoy View Post

I wouldn't call GNOME simple. It's a huge project that's much more than just a desktop.

They could maybe add some features for btrfs volumes in their file browser (Nautilus), but that's about all I can think off. I'm not too familiar with btrfs, so I couldn't tell you what might be useful or possible.
              Of course the project is vast and complex, but I think that uid313 was talking about its UI/UX, which is very streamlined

Comment

Now that Fedora and SUSE both default to BTRFS maybe we will get work to expose some finctionality in Gnome Disks. These are the two places that the majority of the "not sexy" work is done, so maybe we will see movement.

Until now it has been a chicken and egg sort of problem - no one made the GUI utilities as it was not widely used. It wasnt widely used because there was no easy way to access the functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  I'm not sure what you mean by "integrating btrfs features". Being able to manage subvolumes, snapshots and other settings (nocow, compression) would be good but IMO that would be best implemented as Nautilus extensions, rather than integrating that into core GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

What kind of features?
                    Off the top of my head I can think of better sub-volume creation, possibly in Gnome Disks like You- points out, and feature management like setting compression mode (and/or level), enable/disable reflinks, snapshot management, etc. Hopefully it'll be done in a somewhat generic manner by multiple GNOME users, like Ubuntu and Red Hat, so other things like ZFS, LVM, F2FS, Stratis, etc can benefit/be used where applicable. It would kind of suck if they did all that work and only one file system would reap the benefits.

Comment

Working...
                    X