Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.38 Beta 2 Released With Many Fixes

Phoronix: GNOME 3.38 Beta 2 Released With Many Fixes

Ahead of the official GNOME 3.38 launch in September, the second GNOME 3.38 beta (v3.35.91) is now available for testing,..

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ME-3.38-Beta-2

Ubuntu's packaging work is tracked on this trello board

https://trello.com/b/sdyPskaS/gnome-338

Comment

"GNOME Shell has fixes for the X11 session login, a potential stack overflow in libcroco, fixing the login screen for systems lacking GLSL shader support, and other fixes."

Thank God! Already tested on Fedora 33 and is very broken.

Comment

I wonder if they will integrate btrfs features into Gnome? In future releases of course.

Comment

It doesn't run any longer on the ancient Mali T-628 Wayland blob from ARM for Odroid XU3...

Will need to debug en bisect it..

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
            I wonder if they will integrate btrfs features into Gnome? In future releases of course.
            What kind of features?

I think not, GNOME is mostly a simple deskop for daily task for normal users. For advanced operations you need special utilities.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

What kind of features?

I think not, GNOME is mostly a simple deskop for daily task for normal users. For advanced operations you need special utilities.
              I wouldn't call GNOME simple. It's a huge project that's much more than just a desktop.

They could maybe add some features for btrfs volumes in their file browser (Nautilus), but that's about all I can think off. I'm not too familiar with btrfs, so I couldn't tell you what might be useful or possible.

Comment

Originally posted by iruoy View Post

I wouldn't call GNOME simple. It's a huge project that's much more than just a desktop.

They could maybe add some features for btrfs volumes in their file browser (Nautilus), but that's about all I can think off. I'm not too familiar with btrfs, so I couldn't tell you what might be useful or possible.
                Of course the project is vast and complex, but I think that uid313 was talking about its UI/UX, which is very streamlined

Comment

Volta First question is what problem do you want to solve? I can’t come up with anything but I’m not into complex filesystems anyway..

It’s more important that BTRFS fits the vision of systemd. I guess that’s even more complex and only time will tell.

Comment

Now that Fedora and SUSE both default to BTRFS maybe we will get work to expose some finctionality in Gnome Disks. These are the two places that the majority of the "not sexy" work is done, so maybe we will see movement.

Until now it has been a chicken and egg sort of problem - no one made the GUI utilities as it was not widely used. It wasnt widely used because there was no easy way to access the functionality.

Comment

Working...
                    X