No announcement yet.

Chrome 85 Is Clang PGO'ing Binaries For Better Performance But Linux Left Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any technical reasons why they didn't do it on Linux? Is the build infrastructure too different?

Comment

Originally posted by KrissN View Post

I know that, but I wanted to build it with GCC, because... why not?
      As long as all the illegal C++ is fixed in the ungoogled sources that should work. Though to get the smallest binaries you might want to do LTO, and gcc only does full LTO and not a thin variant like clang.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Depends on what you compile it with. I wouldn't recommend it though.
        I don't compile it, just download it and install it.

Anyway, I still they've put it back here where's a bit easier to understand what it has been compiled with:
        https://chromium.woolyss.com/

Comment

Why does Chrome 85 use ANGLE?

Comment

I'm a little confused. Is this about Chrome or Chromium? It says Chrome all over the place, but the article is on the Chromium blog...

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              Why does Chrome 85 use ANGLE?
              ANGLE does many things now. On Windows it implements OpenGL over Direct3D, but also Vulkan now, on macOS it implements it over Metal I believe. And on all platforms it is used to sanitize/verify WebGL commands.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

ANGLE does many things now. On Windows it implements OpenGL over Direct3D, but also Vulkan now, on macOS it implements it over Metal I believe. And on all platforms it is used to sanitize/verify WebGL commands.
                Ok but which is the benefit on Linux operating system able to integrate Opengl and Vulkan directly unlike Microsoft windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Ok but which is the benefit on Linux operating system able to integrate Opengl and Vulkan directly unlike Microsoft windows?
                  The browser implements WebGL, not OpenGl or Vulkan directly. Something has to translate between them. Granted, it's very similar to OpenGL so there's not a ton to do with that backend, but I'm guessing it still does some validation checks or simple optimizations/etc. At the very least, it's just a code organization thing where putting the direct GL support as a pluggable backend fits into their code nicely vs having 2 separate paths at the top level that integrates with the browser side everywhere - leading to a lot more code duplication, and bugs where you fix something for the GL path but forget to fix angle.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 30 August 2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

The browser implements WebGL, not OpenGl or Vulkan directly. Something has to translate between them. Granted, it's very similar to OpenGL so there's not a ton to do with that backend, but I'm guessing it still does some validation checks or simple optimizations/etc. At the very least, it's just a code organization thing where putting the direct GL support as a pluggable backend fits into their code nicely vs having 2 separate paths at the top level that integrates with the browser side everywhere - leading to a lot more code duplication, and bugs where you fix something for the GL path but forget to fix angle.
                    So they have decided to use the wrapper to get better management on the integration of Vulkan and Opengl as well. Indeed, I remember that Chrome uses a wrapper to link DirectX to Webgl.

Comment

Working...
                    X