Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

I'm not talking about malicious code.

But Chromium _and_ Firefox isn't developed by a single entity. I want competition on the web, for the sake of it. Why do we even need W3C if Google is the only developer? Should the web be allowed to turn into a Google product? I mean, officially? There's no need for any standards if there's only one product.

Yes, they can. The people who already have the code, still have the license to use it, but for others, it can retroactively be made proprietary. It's not GPL.

Yeah, and replacing Google as a web browser development is a piece of cake, right? What I believe would happen if Google made Chromium proprietary, is that Microsoft and Apple would follow. Then we might end up with another series of browser wars as Google focus on turning the web into a part of ChromeOS, with Microsoft and Apple potentially wanting to do similar things down the line.
    I love free services Google offers. I get the point now, Google is becoming another MS, just in different area of computing.

However, I'm not aware of any free, or reasonably priced 20€ yearly, cloud services for personal use, besides Google and MS.

Maybe, Canonical could drive the effort to develop viable alternative to Google cloud services for personal use? Anyway, it's easy to say, but only already stable big company can make such things happen,..

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Yeah, I know how much it sucks that Michael no longer owns Phoronix...

Instead being led by the world's number one propaganda teller - 144Hz.
      Yes, getting likes to no end with our benign attempts to defeat them being trash.
      Michael knows that and he maintains it. More money is earned with 144Hz / Funkstar / GhostOfFunkS / Griffin / Honton / etc. because he guarantees much more visits and comments, more money than with a reasonable person (with a real job) writing there.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
        I love free services Google offers. I get the point now, Google is becoming another MS, just in different area of computing.
        In essence. There is more to it. Because as someone in the thread pointed out, it's open source, so someone else might take over. But the only organizations able to do that are Microsoft and Apple. The problem is that neither of these organizations have free will. They have a fiduciary responsibility to their share holders, meaning they must make as much money as they can. This is why the Mozilla Corporation is owned by the Mozilla Foundation. It eliminates the fiduciary responsibility as a legal requirement to shut the web down, if that's the most profitable. Microsoft, Apple and Google have no right to not shutdown the web if it's the most profitable option. They must choose the option that gives your pension plan the highest growth.

However, I'm not aware of any free, or reasonably priced 20€ yearly, cloud services for personal use, besides Google and MS. Maybe, Canonical could drive the effort to develop viable alternative to Google cloud services for personal use? Anyway, it's easy to say, but only already stable big company can make such things happen,..
        Yes, they could and they should. But they couldn't do that when they were pushing for phones, because that market is owned. The ISP owns the bandwidth so they want to profit from that bandwidth; they should be the ones offering sync services and the like, not Canonical. They could sell them software, but they should not sell services directly to the customer. It is a very bad idea to compete with your customers, which would be the ISPs.

But yes, absolutely, Canonical should be the King of Home Server. But there is a reason why this didn't happen. They didn't think that the ARM space was sufficiently developed, so they decided to go for the OMAP4 platform, which was ARMv7. That wasn't unreasonable at the time. But then Raspberry Pi appeared, utilizing the outdated ARMv6, which Ubuntu had chosen not to support because they were thinking ahead. That was the big thing about 9.04, the Jaunty Jackalope, because it was supposed to be what Raspbian later became. It would've been so easy to monetize that, if we hadn't underestimated ARMv6.

There's nothing about what we do that's easy, except in hindsight. I was one of the people who argued that Ubuntu should skip ARMv6 because I had an ARMv7 device, which was so much better. I just didn't see the Raspberry Pi coming. And don't be fooled by your knowledge of history. I was there and I asked and I talked, but nobody saw it coming.

There are people talking about Ubuntu and Canonical's mistakes, but they all miss the point. Upstart was great, Bzr was great, Mir was great, it was all great. The Big Mistake was going all-in on ARMv7 for the Magic Bunny. As I said, I argued my case that going for the OMAP4 was the best choice. I can't remember anyone arguing against me.

Be honest, three years before the Raspberry Pi, did you make your voice heard in defense of the the idea that the Linux community should support the outdated ARMv6? If you didn't, then I don't think you have a right to blame me, because you weren't in the game. Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope was supposed to do all those things that Raspberry Pi have accomplished. We simply made the wrong bet, and I am one of the people you should blame for that, because we weren't that many at the time.

But all in all, my point is very simple; it's easy to be clever in hindsight.

Comment

Working...
        X