No announcement yet.

Firefox 80 Available With VA-API On X11, WebGL Parallel Shader Compile Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody confirmed it is working? It is not on Nightly for me and the stable channel still didn't updated.

UPDATE: Ah, you need to start it using MOZ_X11_EGL=1 as a user told earlier. Thanks mate.
    Last edited by M@GOid; 25 August 2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

popos snap prerelease version 80 works if u enable
      2x vaapi in about:config
      &
      hardware video decode force & || hardware video decode force-enable

Comment

I've tried VA-API decoding Youtube video on Haswell CPU. It works but I get a lot of dropped frames and occasional crashes. Not useful at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by cipper View Post

actually it's many years that firefox provides out-of-the-box synchronization of: bookmarks, hystory, open tabs, logins and passwords, addons, and preferences.

where do you live?
          Slovakia. I would rather have had a mail/cloud-sync verified against physical address / ID card for recovery purposes, than Google account.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post

Firefox supports sync of all that too, but it doesn't store the data in the cloud for you. I prefer that, but others prefer cloud persistence.
            Also Chromium isn't free in spirit. It's tightly controlled by a single entity, with regular code drops. We don't really have an ability to reject code as by the time we see it, it's already in.
            I'm pretty sure it does store it, but it's end-to-end encrypted. Or if you want, you can host your own sync server.

Comment

Good howto: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...o_acceleration
              Write MOZ_X11_EGL=1 into /etc/environment then you don’t need to specify it in each Firefox start.
              VP9 4K on YT 2% load, H.264 4K & H.265 4K content ~1% load on a Radeon 5700 XT + Ryzen 3700X.

Comment

HOW TO ENABLE HARDWARE ACCELERATION IN FIREFOX 80

I just tested this on a new install (Beta file dropped on Home without config files), tested it step by step, so here it is:

Step 1: enter about:config on the search bar, then search for media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled and gfx.webrender.all. Change both to true. Changes here need a restart to work. Just wait the next step to do it.

Step 2: Unless your hardware can decode VP9, you will need to disable VP9 support on Firefox. On the same about:config as on the previous step, search for VP9 and disable media.mediasource.vp9.enabled. This will force YouTube videos to be delivered in the H264 format, but will limit available resolutions to up to 1080p/60fps.

Step 3: close Firefox and start it using the environment variable MOZ_X11_EGL=1 on the terminal. So the complete command would be MOZ_X11_EGL=1 firefox .

In my machine, a old AMD A8 7600 APU, the overall CPU utilization fell from about 40% to less than 20%, on a 1080p/60fps video, clearly indicating that the hardware acceleration is working. Please note that old CPUs or GPUs, like those ultra cheap Jaguar based AM1 CPUs or a Radeon HD5450, may not have 60fps video decoding, so you are stuck with 30fps. Just enable block 60fps video on H264fy (a extension you need to install just in this case) and you should be good to go.

PS: If you want to check if you are receiving H264 video, do a right click on the video, "Statistics for nerds" and look for avc1 on the "Codecs" info. That is the indication that you are receiving H264 video codec. The fps info is there too, together with the resolution.

PS2: Big thanks to Martin Stránský from Red Hat, for finally making this BIG desktop milestone a reality. Paid developer or not, instead of being on a forum bellyaching, he got there and did it. We sure appreciate your efforts mate.

Last edited by M@GOid; 25 August 2020, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Not really. There's still chromium, which is opensource browser.

Also, what synchronization integrations Firefox supports out of the box? Chromium and Google Chrome support history, bookmarks, passwords synchronization via Google account.
                  Unfortunately Chromium needs a key signed by Google to be fully working...

Hence Chromium should be thrown on the trash can together with Chrome...

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                    look like all of you have no idea what will happend if we lose firefox
                    Just so others can appreciate this...Firefox's importance comes not from being simply an open source alternative so much as a competitor. If Firefox fails to have enough market share, then Google will have a monopoly over the web and will abuse it far more than they do now. Chromium, Edge, Vivaldi, are all part of Google's monopoly because they use Google's rendering engine.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                      HOW TO ENABLE HARDWARE ACCELERATION IN FIREFOX 80
                      M@GOid, thank you very much for your easy to understand instructions

Comment

Working...
                      X