KDE Apps Now Remember Their Window Positions When Closed & Re-Launched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Apps Now Remember Their Window Positions When Closed & Re-Launched

Phoronix: KDE Apps Now Remember Their Window Positions When Closed & Re-Launched

KDE applications finally have the ability to keeping their window positions preserved when closed and then re-launched...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE has this ability already but you have to do it per application basis, perhaps it should be clarified that this (I assume) is a global option, nice they have caught up with Compiz after a decade or so to do it globally.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      KDE has this ability already but you have to do it per application basis, perhaps it should be clarified that this (I assume) is a global option, nice they have caught up with Compiz after a decade or so to do it globally.
      Applications that already remember their position (e.g., most web browsers) use the X11 XSizeHints struct. Most window managers honor these hints. This appears to be something similar for Qt apps. It should be possible for a window manager to store placement information for apps that don't; this must be what Compiz does. It's all kind of bodged up.

I had a discussion with a prominent Gnome developer about 18 years ago, and I made the argument that the windowing system should handle this, not individual applications, since a lot of them wouldn't bother. In retrospect it seems clear that they only cared about Gnome apps.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
        I had a discussion with a prominent Gnome developer about 18 years ago, and I made the argument that the windowing system should handle this, not individual applications, since a lot of them wouldn't bother. In retrospect it seems clear that they only cared about Gnome apps.
        I agree with that. Application should not force their window and just hint about minimal usable size. For example some time ago my Firefox started to launch not expanded to full size (like it was on previous session) but something like 3\4 of screen. I forced in Kwin rule to ignore app requested sizes and launch always expanded. Problem solved.

Comment

I thought I remembered a discussion a while back about wine with wayland where one of the issues is that wayland doesn't allow specifying exact coordinates for placing windows

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
            I thought I remembered a discussion a while back about wine with wayland where one of the issues is that wayland doesn't allow specifying exact coordinates for placing windows
            It was this one, I think https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42284. I remember it too! Hope wine-wayland will be followed up soon in mainline too.

Looking forward to get this window positioning soon in Plasma Wayland :-)
            Last edited by R41N3R; 22 August 2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Minor typo (no space):

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              them.This

Comment

2 or 3 decades too late?

Comment

"late" != "too late"

Comment

Yeah, it's one of the more annoying things about having to use MS Windows at work: that stupid remember your last position and try to reopen there misfeature (firefox does this in an annoyingly innacurate manner, too). It's not like I was planning to use KDE in any case, but here's another reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X