Kdenlive 20.08 Released For Improving This Leading Open-Source Video Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kdenlive 20.08 Released For Improving This Leading Open-Source Video Editor

Phoronix: Kdenlive 20.08 Released For Improving This Leading Open-Source Video Editor

Version 20.08 of Kdenlive has been released, the KDE-aligned open-source non-linear video editor platform that is among the best in the field for open-source, community-driven projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using already 20.04 for some heavy task, I can't wait to upgrade to 20.08 ASAP.

Comment

but Kdenlive has matured quite well in recent years.
      It still fails to compete against proprietary video editors.
      Yes, it has improved notably though.

Seriously, when will we engage in the hardware rendering game? Only Olive has done it so far, but they got stuck in the rewrite spiral.

Comment

Kdenlive comes as AppImage bundle in the download page. I am mentioning this because of a discussion I had in another topic. Simply download, make executable and double click. Enjoy!

Comment

Interface looks like an improvement.

Comment

I'm still waiting for some type of AI neural network upscaling. The windows people are having all the fun while we get left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              Kdenlive comes as AppImage bundle in the download page. I am mentioning this because of a discussion I had in another topic. Simply download, make executable and double click. Enjoy!
              Yes! This is great to evaluate Kdenlive w/o drawing all the KDE dependencies (on a Gnome desktop)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It still fails to compete against proprietary video editors.
                Yes, it has improved notably though.

Seriously, when will we engage in the hardware rendering game? Only Olive has done it so far, but they got stuck in the rewrite spiral.
                How can you know which and how those software use hardware rendering?
                Not a troll question, I'm sincerely curious: are there comparisons on internet which demonstrate by metrics? Or do you just check release notes and features list? Because as far as directly checking code goes, on top of requiring solid knowledge, I don't see that happening for proprietary software.

If there is some (reliable) comparison page somewhere that you know of it would be great it you could share it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Assuming you don't mean in the UI, this has been possible since I've been using kdenlive (the last 3 years or so). It uses avformat, so just change `vcodec=libx264` to `vcodec=vaapi_264` or whichever codec you want to use in the rendering parameters.

Comment

I am using Kdenlive for quite some time to do all my video cutting.
                    It may be lacking compared to paid alternatives, but I don't know of any tool in the Windows space offering this feature set as an open source or otherwise free software.

Comment

Working...
                    X