Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Patches Revived For 64-bit POWER Support, Hangover To Run Windows Apps On POWER

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine Patches Revived For 64-bit POWER Support, Hangover To Run Windows Apps On POWER

    Phoronix: Wine Patches Revived For 64-bit POWER Support, Hangover To Run Windows Apps On POWER

    Going back many months have been work on making Wine work nicely on 64-bit POWER (POWER9) for ultimately being able to handle Windows programs on IBM POWER/OpenPOWER hardware. The latest Wine work has now been sent out for benefiting this CPU architecture popular with free software purists...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ust-2020-POWER

  • #2
    Dream: Raptor is becoming a bit cheaper and wine + dxvk will be somehow PPC ready

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      Dream: Raptor is becoming a bit cheaper and wine + dxvk will be somehow PPC ready
      This first part is harder than the rest, imo.
      A platform would naturally attract developers if it became cheap enough for common use...
      Last edited by zxy_thf; 17 August 2020, 06:37 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
        This first part is harder than the rest, imo.
        A platform would naturally attract developers if it became cheap enough for common use...
        True but this is a self "amplification" effect. It becomes cheaper because it gets more attractive (massproduction) and vice versa.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

          True but this is a self "amplification" effect. It becomes cheaper because it gets more attractive (massproduction) and vice versa.
          I feel like that doesn't necessary have to be the only way. Attractive also doesn't always mean cheaper nor the reverse. Not in this world or this reality where everything that can happen, happens.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ix900 View Post

            I feel like that doesn't necessary have to be the only way. Attractive also doesn't always mean cheaper nor the reverse. Not in this world or this reality where everything that can happen, happens.
            You are right. Its about supply and demand. For example in Apple case, they chooses higher prices and bigger margins, because demand is high and lovering prices can hurt their profit. But in case of Raptor, prices are high because manufacturing cost, so massproduction can lover prices and lover prices means more attractive and that means same profit per sold unit, but larger quantities of units so total profit grow.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by akuhtr View Post

              You are right. Its about supply and demand. For example in Apple case, they chooses higher prices and bigger margins, because demand is high and lovering prices can hurt their profit. But in case of Raptor, prices are high because manufacturing cost, so massproduction can lover prices and lover prices means more attractive and that means same profit per sold unit, but larger quantities of units so total profit grow.
              ix900 you are right but I meant it the way it was described by akuhtr

              Comment

              Working...
              X