Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.1 Starts Off With Presentation Improvements, Inclusive Config Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    rockiron

• rockiron
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    (Let's say... YEINR:RYBotDWK. "Your Experience Is Not Representative. Report Your Bugs or the Devs Won't Know.")
    I reported 3 bugs to LO about interoperability with Microsoft Office. In each bug I attached a sample document and screenshots of LO vs Microsoft Office.

All 3 bugs were IGNORED, with a trivial exception for one of it which changed its title.

LO sucks and has no developers. All commits are done by Collabora and CIB. It is not clear to whom the 1bn in revenues of the TDF goes to.

LO is misleading: in their website they sponsor compatibility with Microsoft Office, while in reality that compatibility is at very best in pre-alpha stage and experimental. More than text and 1 or 2 images, and LO Writer will break out the layout of your document. Their website misleads people into believing that the LO project is good and healthy state.

In the meantime they focus on fair-language for options.

I suggest LO "managers" (they have no developers, as we have said) that cares so much about politically correct to look at these suggestions and fight for them. They are of the utmost importance for LO users.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
    Well, I suppose that your personal experience absolutely proves it: the quoted article is absolute bollocks, and someone who writes for a living AND uses LibreOffice--and, furthermore, who states repeatedly in almost every LO article he writes, that he wants very much for LO to succeed--doesn't know what in the Hell he's talking about.
    Isn't the facebook mentality and brain-worm wonderful, fanboys and girls?

Did you even READ the entire article? Or is it more important to tell us about your personal experience?
    You completely missed my point. I was saying that perception varies widely depending on what you're doing with it, and it's important to report bugs because, often, the developers aren't exercising the code paths you are.

That's why, back in the GNOME 2.x era, GNOME users were convinced KDE was a buggy piece of garbage and GNOME was stable, while KDE users were convinced GNOME was a buggy piece of garbage and KDE was stable.

They were self-selecting for whichever DE didn't bug out under their preferred usage pattern, because their usage pattern matched what the devs were testing.

My anecdote (admittedly, written when I was overdue for bed) was just intended to demonstrate how oblivious it's possible for someone to be if they get lucky about what kinds of documents they're opening.

Leave a comment:

• ultimA

• ultimA
    replied

Well, I suppose that your personal experience absolutely proves it: the quoted article is absolute bollocks, and someone who writes for a living AND uses LibreOffice--and, furthermore, who states repeatedly in almost every LO article he writes, that he wants very much for LO to succeed--doesn't know what in the Hell he's talking about.

Did you even READ the entire article? Or is it more important to tell us about your personal experience?
    That's unfortunately the sad truth. I've tried to convert many people over to LO multiple times in our company, and even though people find it very usable in general, whenever it comes to exchanging documents with other companies using MS Office, it almost always comes to formatting and graphical issues due to imperfect document conversion. You can guess the result...

I love LO and use it myself (non-professionally). But to make it really spread faster and wider (or at all in specific industries), it really needs to focus on sorting out the interoperability bugs. Right now the conversions work for simple things, but that's just not good enough in real life.

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Every OOXML document I've tried to open has rendered perfectly well...

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow

• ssokolow
    replied
    Every OOXML document I've tried to open has rendered perfectly well, so I'm going to call on whatever the acronym was in that Planet Mozilla blog post from a few years.

(Let's say... YEINR:RYBotDWK. "Your Experience Is Not Representative. Report Your Bugs or the Devs Won't Know.")

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew

• danmcgrew
    replied
    "...Over the last few years, I've done a fair share of Libreoffice reviews, focusing on different usability angles. First, there's the program itself and what it does, then whether it's suitable for everyday office use in the Office-heavy reality, and largely because of the previous point, the million-dollar question of when and if and how LibreOffice could actually become a viable, realistic substitute for (Microsoft) Office. My findings from the past dozen summers say no..."

..."Microsoft Office compatibility
    "Another big one. It's not about good and evil, not about right or wrong, not about ideology, morality, anything of that sort. Pure and simple pragmatism. Your non-techie colleague or boss or client sends you a file they created in Microsoft Office. You need to send them data back. Can you afford mistakes?
    As always, I grabbed a bunch of DOTX, DOCX templates from Microsoft and opened them in LibreOffice. Just like in version 6.3, there were problems. Most documents rendered badly - text overflow, positioning, etc. One of the files wouldn't open - it threw an error, and if you ignore the error and go forward, you get a useless conversion. Utterly wrong...."

"And the thing is, this is the very thing that blocks LibreOffice from gaining wider adoption...or we can try to give people high-fidelity tools that can replace their Microsoft Office. Because today, LibreOffice cannot..."

“... Finally, LibreOffice simply isn't as productive as it could be. I'm saying this as someone with 1,000,000+ words written every year, a good deal of them in Writer...”

"...And the worst thing is, there seems to be no strategy out of this loop. Another version with tiny changes? That hasn't shifted the needle so far. I truly hope LibreOffice does kick off a commercial model. We need something fresh and fun - in a meaningful way. In its current guise, it's pretty much like biannual Linux distro releases, more of the same, with no real added value or growth. And it's not about the users actually - people will happily use free products and whatever. It's about the LibreOffice developers, who will eventually give up, when they realize there's no end in sight

LibreOffice 7.0 - Words are very unnecessary
    Updated: August 19, 2020 | Category: Office

https://www.dedoimedo.com/index.html

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Vistaus
    Vistaus -cke-saved-href="#" href="#" class="b-bbcode-user b-bbcode-user--has-avatar js-bbcode-user js-bbcode-user--userid74946" style="background-image: url("https://www.phoronix.com/forums/core/images/default/default_avatar_thumb.png");">Vistaus Mez';n1201383]
    danmcgrew
    danmcgrew You can expect the same insanity trap working just as well in the country south to The Netherlands, of which 2/3 of the population also speaks Dutch. Changing street names, tags on statues, or just plain destruction, the whole shebang. Political correctness is at an all-time high around these parts. The same thing happens in France as well from what I read.
    In general, European leftists can't even take jokes anymore or inconsistencies in their ideas. It's all first degree, taking everything seriously. And if you're joking, then you must be racist (to be interchanged with any sensitive topic). There's no critical mind to be expected from these people. A website like The Onion wouldn't work here. People wouldn't (want to) get the satire and it would degenerate real fast.
    Everything is so touchy-feely that it's hard to sail in between the rocks.[/QUOTE]

...and @Vistaus--

Thank you both for your comments and observations.

Is the entire world going insane?

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
    And is this you?
    As someone who is backlogged on accepting PRs to his own open-source projects, yes it is. I see it as very disrespectful to the maintainers to push patches with such questionable Return on Investment on them like this.

Likewise, as someone with a hobbyist interest in linguistics and etymology, I see it as stupid and harmful to the health of the language to hack bits off what is considered acceptable speech to enforce that only one specific meaning of a core element of the language (the name of a colour) is valid and to needlessly make it inherently racist rather than recognizing that meaning is contextual, just like idiots who want "women" changed to "womyn" because they don't understand the etymology of "man".

Leave a comment:

• DMJC

• DMJC
    replied
    Libreoffice is incredible, but I need more macro functions implemented in Calc. I'm still forced to use Microsoft office for a vendor spreadsheet that calculates prices/generates quotes.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    The Netherlands.

Warmest regards to you too.
    danmcgrew
    danmcgrew You can expect the same insanity trap working just as well in the country south to The Netherlands, of which 2/3 of the population also speaks Dutch. Changing street names, tags on statues, or just plain destruction, the whole shebang. Political correctness is at an all-time high around these parts. The same thing happens in France as well from what I read.
    In general, European leftists can't even take jokes anymore or inconsistencies in their ideas. It's all first degree, taking everything seriously. And if you're joking, then you must be racist (to be interchanged with any sensitive topic). There's no critical mind to be expected from these people. A website like The Onion wouldn't work here. People wouldn't (want to) get the satire and it would degenerate real fast.
    Everything is so touchy-feely that it's hard to sail in between the rocks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X